Last sail of the season

General Sailing Discussion
T Peterson
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Last sail of the season

Post by T Peterson »

Since I don't like putting the boat away in the snow - this is it for me..

But, on a day with decent wind, and my wife on the dock taking pictures - I can still get it up !!
Final sail.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonathan Levine
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC19, SC20

Re: Last sail of the season

Post by Jonathan Levine »

Depressing, isn't it. That's a lovely shot, but tell us where you are?

With any luck my 19 gets here by the end of next week, but it's not at all certain I'll get to try it out before the weather gets nasty (or at least drysuit-worthy). The forecast calls for snow by this weekend...
T Peterson
Professional

Post by T Peterson »

We are in northwestern Minnesota, nearest town is Battle Lake, MN. If you go to Google Maps to see our lake, it is Blanche Lake. You'll see a photo of my friend Chris and I double trapped in (almost) perfect form and just blasting along.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/blan ... !4b1?hl=en

It's a touch early to take the boat out, but we have a lot to do in too little time, so I wanted to enjoy a last sail and get the boat out and scrubbed up. We keep it on a lift so it always gets a fall scrub.
X.jpg
Here's our flotilla - I keep a cover and a jib snorkel on the boat when not in use. The cover is the old tramp that I sewed some UV cloth onto to make it UV proof but still breathable. It's heavy so after I bungie the corners - it won't flap in the wind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beavertailskiff
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1982 SC17

Post by Beavertailskiff »

Good form, this from someone who can’t yet trap out solo. Do you know your top speeds? Solo, crewed. My SC17 with 37 yr old sails is 14.5kts solo 17.3 crewed.
T Peterson
Professional

Post by T Peterson »

That sounds about right.

With a 120 pound crew, I hit 21 mph a few times on a windy day on a broad reach. I'm not sure how accurate the readings are - Bill Roberts cautioned us many times to be very careful with gps data.

Here is me and a friend on a nice windy day