1980 Super Cat 20

General Sailing Discussion
Stuart
Novice

1980 Super Cat 20

Post by Stuart »

We've had our 1980 SC 20 since new. It's had a thorough thrashing, lake sailing and ocean sailing. We trailer it from home so, it gets set up and broken down each time we take it out. So far, there have only been minor repairs to this boat which is pretty good for a 27 year old boat. The only thing that will soon need replacing is the tramp. We recently added a 2hp Johnson for those time when you are miles away from shore and no wind. It's durability is a testament to superb design of the SC's.

Stuart
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

I finally got my SC20 #57 painted by a real painter and it looks like a piece of sculpture. This genius tokk it down to the pink and faired it all aroung then added 5 coats of Awlgrip and faired it once more and the applied 5 coats of Awlgrip. Its sits in my driveway with nothing to do but look beautiful all day. Everytime I walk by it I recall 27 years ago out running my old T. What a great singlehanding boat with main alone.
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
davefarmer
Hot Shot

Post by davefarmer »

I have 55, also an '80, that was owned for the first 23 years by a great guy who raced it for 2 or 3 years and then carefully stored it, waiting for me it appears.
She now sports Skip Elliot's best attempt at updating the sail plan, with squaretop main and selftacking jib in Pentex. Looks gorgeous! Added a front crossbar at the jib bridle tangs (ala Team Cyberspeed), pole and snuffer, and I run a heavy weight I20- spin in big air, and a 49er chute in light air.
Awesome to sail solo when conditions permit, a true (very wet) blast when the breeze kicks in? Another satisfied customer!

Dave
george
Devloping

Post by george »

It is a long story but I now have Dave Farmer's former Supercat (now on Chesapeake Bay), and finally got her out in some nice wind 8-10knots, and had an ear to ear grin the whole time. Such a different feel than my old hobie 16.

We got the chute up, and the boat felt great. I have limited experience with a spin, and the boat was great.

This winter I'll be redoing the hulls, but Dave did a great job rigging this boat, and I fully appreciate the attention to detail in the running rigging. Looking forward to a great season, and hopefully kicking some butt on the small boat course.

Hopefully after a few years I will be able to afford a newer ARC 22.

So, another satisfied customer!

George
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

George,

How far are you from Annapolis? I go visit my folks occasionally, maybe I can swing down and see how your cat sails with a spinnaker.

Kevin
george
Devloping

Post by george »

Kevin,

I am about an hour south of Annapolis, in Solomons.

Yea, be happy to take you out. From my first experience with the spin it sailed great. A buddy of mine was out on racing big boats on the same night we were out, and said basically the supercat from far away was moving like a windsurfer on human growth hormones. I didn't think we were going that fast, but hard to tell on the water sometimes.

Drop me an email and give me some advance notice when you'll be in town, I do travel a bit for work. george.waldbusser at gmail.com

later

george
george
Devloping

Post by george »

SuperFly on the water in her glory. I love this boat!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 SC 20 #55 "SuperFly"
george
Devloping

Post by george »

So wouldn't you know it, after getting a great picture of the boat, and getting real jazzed about summer, the beach where I keep the boat was it with a mini tornado!!!

The boat came out of it in relatively good shape, some cracks in the gel coat I need to examine further, on the deck near the stern, about where one may sit at times. A couple of them run 6 inches or so from stern to bow. One of the bungees on the trap lines snapped and the trap lines ended up wrapped in a tree.

How you ask did my bungee lines end up in a tree? Well the boat was picked up and carried about 25ft then put back down. It was staked to a tire filled with concrete that weighs well over 100lbs (to the dolphin striker), and a 2 ft stake into the ground tied to the rear crossbar (stake was pulled out and still attached to boat). The tire was lifted with the boat, and still attached when it was put down.

I was one of the luckier ones on the beach. Several cats ended up with broken rudders, bent or broken masts, etc. Several of those boats were picked up, dropped in the water, and ended up stuffed under a dock. They were all staked down as well.

A buddy of mine happened to be down there and actually witness it, no video unfortunately, but it sounded like something you really wouldn't want to see that up close and personal.

The boat is back in her proper place. The concrete tire is now sunken in the sand, and I filled a 5 gallon bucked with concrete and embedded the stake in that, and that has been buried as well. I hope we won't be testing the efficacy of my new tie downs for another several years though.

I have to take a closer look at the cracks in the deck and see if they are superficial or into the glass. Any advice for this? I pushed on them a bit, they dont feel soft, but I guess I will have to chip off some of the gel coat at the crack to get a good look at the glass.

Anyway, #55 narrowly escaped ending up as a parts boat!

george
1980 SC 20 #55 "SuperFly"
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Damn, I could have used a new sail and spinnaker. :D

I guess you are lucky. Too bad, I might be in Annapolis June 5th through the 10th and was thinking about seeing if you were available for a sail.

You should post pictures of your damage. The hull around the transom seemed pretty strong to me but you might want to grind the gelcoat off around the gelcoat cracks and lay some fiber glass down if there are cracks in the fiberglass, which you probably have. If you do have cracked fiberglass I would grind that down some.

When I was ready to prime mine I dropped the hull from 3 feet on to concrete and cracked the fiberglass around the transom also. I did some fiberglass around it and it seems to be holding up fine. You can't see any repairs.

Kevin