Roll Tack

General Sailing Discussion
george
Devloping

Roll Tack

Post by george »

I was wondering if anyone has any experience roll tacking a wide beamed catamaran? I used to do it on my Hobie 16, but it really needed. But I am curious if anyone has worked on this for getting through tacks faster on a SC 20? The boat has no problem coming around, but when racing on short courses with monohulls, every bit of speed that can be retained in maneuvers is helpful.

george
1980 SC 20 #55 "SuperFly"
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Hey George,

How's the roll tacking doing? When are we doing that overnight race?

Kevin
Curious Pab
Novice

Post by Curious Pab »

It never crossed my mind to roll tack a multihull, actually! :shock:

But since you are looking into tacking improvement, tell me something: when tacking, do you move the weight aft deliberately (so as to use the rounded part of the hull rather than the keel-like part in front) or do you intent to keep it as forward as possible (for momentum's sake) ?

What would you recommend for a thiner, non-centerboard cat like an SC17?
davefarmer
Hot Shot

Post by davefarmer »

Hey George,
Are you finding the boat hard to tack? I always found it to be pretty effortless to come around if I'm paying attention. Start the tack with very slight pressure on the tiller, allowing the boat to begin turning. As the bows pass thru the wind and the boatspeed drops, continue applying steadlily increasing pressure on the tiller. Make sure that when you pass the tiller extensionto the other side, you continue to keep pressure on, if not the rudders will center and stop the turn. If I did that smoothly, I rarely missed a tack.
Of all the cats I've sailed, the 20 seemed exceptionally well balanced for turning, which I'd attribute to properly placed daggers and a sophisticated rudder system. Roll tacking seemed to be a technique needed for boats that didn't turn so well. Call me if you wish to chat about it more.

Dave
509 276 6355
george
Devloping

Post by george »

Dave and others.

Nah, no problem tacking the boat, for racing around cans here the bigger problem is the courses are so short, that really the start is the big thing. Given that I don't really feel like impaling multiple laser sailors with the spin pole, I've mostly given up racing the SC20 on short courses here.

Kevin- I looked into the Gov cup (the overnight race) and they explicitly do not allow beach cats. Someone in the area with a Nacra 20 fought a few years back to do it, but to no avail.

The cat roll tack procedure is to move weight back to the rear windward crossbar, then as it comes around, to move weight across and forward again, essentially pivoting on the stern of the boat. For the SC20, I've found no need to do that. For my old hobie 16, it helped tremendously, and I guess that any boat with asymmetrical hulls it would help.

So, not much roll tacking on the SC20. Actually not much sailing lately. I was essentially on travel for most of july and august. Got back and had to secure the boat because of tropical storm. When I got to the beach to drop the mast, it looked like someone sat on the tiller crossbar and broke it. Not a terrible repair, but time is limited for the rest of the year, so I will probably start dismantling the boat to refinish the hulls.

Dave- the gudgeons are going in the mail tomorrow. My apologies for the delay, just been real hectic. But you should get them early next week. I've had them sitting in a box by the front door for over a month.

Kevin- I will be in Honolulu in October for a meeting. I am tied up with the meeting most of the time, but am free Oct 17-19 and staying near diamond head. I plan on doing some surfing, but would be great to go for a sail if you are around.

I have access to some FJs and a 32ft S2, but no catamaran sailing otherwise. Which is a bummer, because I always feel like sailing anything other than a cat, isn't really much like sailing, as much as it is just plodding along.

george
1980 SC 20 #55 "SuperFly"
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

George,

Too bad about your timing, I am going to be over in Asia during that time frame unless something changes (it might).

However I can hook you, OR ANYONE ELSE, up to go sailing with another friend from our club who is always looking for to go sailing. It's over in Kaneohe Bay and is without a doubt one of the nicest places to ever sail. This should take priority over surfing.

Let me know.

Kevin