Simon Fisher

General Sailing Discussion
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Simon Fisher

Post by thommerrill »

Hello Simon-

I am curious as to what part of AUS you live in?

I have a friend in Queensland named Gordon Myers of GM Sails.

Also lost contact with "Gunslinger" who sails on the west coast. AT one time he was looking into the RC30/27. If you know how to contact him let me know. My laptop stolen and I lost his email address.

Do you have one of the SC/ARC boats in AUS?

thommerrill
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
Simon Fisher
Novice

Post by Simon Fisher »

Hi Thom,
I live on the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane in Queensland. I met Gordon a few years ago when he had a very swift Tony Grainger design "Essential 8" trimaran. I think he was going to build them.
I used to sail on large multis a fair bit, a few years ago but am not in frequent touch with the various sailing identities any more. However next time I do see one of the guys I will ask after "Gunslinger" for you.

No I don't have an ARC/SC, though I think I have an obsession with getting an ARC22. I have been following your posts on catsailor for a while, and Bill Roberts has taught me much on bost design. In Aus we have the beautifully crafted Auscat Taipans and A Class cats as well as the usual Nacras, Hobies etc but I feel the ARC boats address my needs better in their ability to handle really rough chop and swells with less tendancy to PP.
I sail a 15 ft cat called an Alpha Omega wich for it size is very seaworthy with tall hulls and very narrow decks that Bill would approve of. Very hard to PP but not big enough for the open Bays or Ocean. After sailing the big ones, I like the simple no fuss of beachcats. The ARC22 or RC30 would be on my list but thats after the mortgage etc.

Regards

Simon Fisher
thommerrill
Professional

Post by thommerrill »

Hello Simon-

I have bought three sails from Gordon and probably will by a set for my SC20 when its finished. Every sail has been top quality.

You couldn't go wrong with either boat.

If you get to the states let me know if you are near DFW International in Texas . My 22 is about 20 minutes from there. I haven't sailed it but 4-5 times because of a knee injury/rehab but plan to attend a few Texas races. I will carriy both a furling spin and a screecher.

WHat are the winds like there? Do you singlehand your boat? Also just how big arethe sharks around ther???

fair winds,
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
Simon Fisher
Novice

Post by Simon Fisher »

Hi Thom,
I would like to get to the States to see some old Uni friends who work there, and to do some sightseeing/hiking, but I don't know when this will be.
My little cat is a singlehander and has plenty of sail (about 140 sqft) for its 15ft length. Typical NE summer seabreezes here are 15-20kts sometimes 25kts. Last week I was sailing in 20-30 from the SE for three days. I can reef my main easilly and the boat will sail faster and flatter than with a full rig in 15-20. I was taking my friends kids out so it was good to reef. Other boats were having trouble, though I suspect the equivalent boats here have flatter cut sails compared to the lightwind parts of the US.
I have onle seen two sharks while sailing, one was a harmless bottom feeder of about 4ft and the other a not so harmless tiger shark of about 8-9ft. The white sharks of southern Aus get to 22ft. My friends dive with sharks which is apparently much safer than driving in the friday arfternoon peak hour or so they say.

Cheers

Simon
thommerrill
Professional

Post by thommerrill »

Hi Simon-

Gordon says "Hello".

You might consider an SC20. The winds you mentioned are similar here but not steady. Many shifts and gusts out of nowhere make this area what I would call an unpredictable heavy air area. I sailed my first SC20 singlehanded for years. It has a roller furling jib. With the 12' beam its very stable and the mast is sealed with extenders. When mine if finished I will send you a pic.

fair winds
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma