Refelting the centerboard slots

General Sailing Discussion
rwachtell
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 20

Refelting the centerboard slots

Post by rwachtell »

I have a SC 20 from the early 1980's. I need to refelt the insides of the slots for the dagger boards. Both top and bottom of the slots. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the old adhesive cleaned off and what new felt and adhesive I should use to replace with???.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Refelting the centerboard slots

Post by Matt Haberman »

Rob,
Depending on how tight your boards fit in the trunks there might be a couple of options. We sell a carpet material that we use on the new boats.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

You can try acetone. You can tape around the outside of the well to protect the paint. Then soak a rag and stuff it in the slot so the liquid will penetrate the old felt.

There are several other chemicals Home Depot sells you could try. Go to the paint section and look for them. I am not home but there were 2 others I used to remove adhesive. One started with an M (methyl something?) and the other stuff started with an X. The X stuff is some rough stuff. It will dissolve a lot of things. You definitely don't want to use it inside, I was using it outside with a breeze and I my stomach was turning.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Xylene.
davefarmer
Hot Shot

Post by davefarmer »

Methyl ethyl ketone. Also very nasty.

dave
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

When I replaced the carpet on mt ARC21, I bought the material from Aquarius and removed the old stuff with a razor and a Dremel. Th Dremel, with very light pressure, saved me a lot of time and effort.

Eric
ARC 2101
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
rwachtell
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 20

Post by rwachtell »

I used ... I believe it was lacquer thinner under the advice of Tom Habberman to remove the old glue top and bottom of both sleeves. Worked perfectly when I stuffed LT soaked rags into the location of old dried glue. Slow but effective. New felt went in well using a thin screwdriver shaft to press it into the rear section of the sleeve. D boards were so tight that I had to use teflon spray to get them to slide down.
Thats OK with me as the water stays out of my sleeves now.