SuperCat 20 price

General Sailing Discussion
xcountry
Novice
Boat Make/Model: none yet

SuperCat 20 price

Post by xcountry »

Hey everyone, thanks for allowing me to join the forum to ask a couple questions. I have come across a SuperCat 20 for auction and while I have a lot of experiance with Hobies I don't know much about SuperCats. The boat seem to be in good condition and mainly needs running lines. My biggest question right now is what should this boat go for? I've got a price in my head but want to make sure I don't go over the actual value. The vin # is Fn8000570480. Thanks again and if I end up with it i'll be sure to bring back some pictures.

Jason
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Re: SuperCat 20 price

Post by Eric2101 »

Hi Jason,

it is hard to tell. Much depends on how well it has been maintained, the age of the sails and other gear, does it come with a trailer, sail box, cat trax, etc... Where are you located?
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
xcountry
Novice

Post by xcountry »

auction is in Austin TX. I've seen some Miracle 20s on the lake but no SuperCats. The hulls look nice and glossy with no soft spots. Can't tell how old the sails are but they do have some life left in them. Trailer is expandable and comes with a sail tube.
Bean
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: SC17 - 1983

Post by Bean »

The 20 is a tank. Not a cat to day sail too much. What is the beam?
Where is it on auction?
xcountry
Novice

Post by xcountry »

the auction is through the University of Texas as excess equipment and the beam is expandable to 10ft 6in. Does this boat come in differnt beam lengths? I would plan on bringing it down to the Galveston area.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

XCountry,

The SuperCat 20' was only offered in a 12' beam. There were two different mast lengths, 33' & 38' 6".

If you know what year the boat is you can check out http://www.nadaguides.com for a rough value.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Bean
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: SC17 - 1983

Post by Bean »

There's one of the 20's here in Houston that sails Galveston now and again. It has been restored very niely but it is a Beast and is a job to set up. If you are looking to have a cat to set up and sail for a few days it would be nice but its a lot of work for a day sailer.
davefarmer
Hot Shot

Post by davefarmer »

SC 20s I see currently for sale are in the $4500 to $6500 range fully equipped, updated sails, one w/ spin. Make sure its all there, buying missing parts adds up quickly. Set up time is greater than the average beachcat, mast up storage is a big plus. Big, powerful boat, I loved it for high wind blasting.

Dave