coming about

General Sailing Discussion
BugTussel
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: 82 Supercat 17

coming about

Post by BugTussel »

Ok my SC17 does not come about.
i have tried in all types of winds and it completely stalls when i get headed into the wind.

i have a SC19 sail no jib.
Bean
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: SC17 - 1983

Re: coming about

Post by Bean »

Easier with a jib. Without you have to really think it thru. You need to make sure you have some speed and go real easy with the tiller. You have to stay steady and ease the tiller or the rudders will stall the boat. Do not take your hand off. Additionally you need to use your weight to help pitch the boat around. Try to keep you weight on the rear inside of the turn so you will lift the bows and allow the boat to pivit. With a jib you can allow a slight backwind of the jib to help a turn. With just the main you have to realize that you are really only steering the stern with the sail so you have to use the rest , weight and momentum to turn the boat. You also need to make sure you handle the main to keep it from back winding and slowing your momentum. The greatest effect is your weight.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

All great points. I think if you let the mainsheet out a little as you pass through the wind it might help also. Get moving again and then pull it in.

Disclaimer... I am wrong most of the time.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Roll tack... Ease the main and move crew weight backuntil the sails fill, then resume normal positions and sheet sails.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Instead of just letting the mainsheet out, you can backwind the main like on a Hobie14. Just grab the sheet and pull to the windward side. Also when you stop forward motion, pull the rudders to reverse and help come about.
BugTussel
Hot Shot

Post by BugTussel »

never though about the weight i will have to try that this weekend. and i usually try to come about fast so it make sense why its killing my speed. thanks for the advice ill let you know the result.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

In a roll tack, the crew scoots back to the rear windward corner to lift the bows as they pass thru the center. Give the jib a second or two to fill and then send the crew over to the other side into normal sailing or racing positon. Remember to crack the main or traveler 6 to 12 inches to power it up.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
BugTussel
Hot Shot

Post by BugTussel »

Its Uni Rig that's my issue this is my first uni rigged boat and with out a jib i i have not gotten the hang of it. i went out in the hurricane couple weeks ago and tried to turn with speed. still had issues in 28mph winds. what a crazy day had to stay close to the shore the trees did a nice job slowing the wind down a bit as soon as i would get out in open water it would get a little ridiculous.

but still we loaded the rear turned slow enough not to loose speed as i got into the wind i let the main out and it would stall before i could get around enough to get the main filled again. i was successful twice. but they were really slow turns. the whole day i did not want to gibe as i was really worried of being knocked down. so i had to do the 3 point turn thumbs down.