Oregon Cascades Waldo Lake

General Sailing Discussion
Paul13jg
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Oregon Cascades Waldo Lake

Post by Paul13jg »

I was able to get to 2 higher elevation lakes over the last month and shake down the SC17. Waldo Lake, 5400' is one of the purest lakes in the world not to far down the list from Crater Lake. They finally banned internal combustion engines but have a speed limit of 10 mph. I used to have a map that said only motorized boats were restricted to 10 mph. 10 years ago I was racing with a Corsair Trimaran and he said I was doing about 17 knots single handed on an SC19. I needed another body on board! Wonder if anyone will complain for going to fast...

The previous owner had numerous additions that must have frustrated him. The jib lines were hanging up on 3 items that have now been removed. Its like he was trying to rig it like a monohull.
Anyway after 10 years of summer sailing I was able to use the(had to is more like it) shroud extenders. Wow..work beautifully. My friends of 30 years took the spill with me.

I have appreciated being able to glean from topics covered. I understand I need to tighten the shrouds to help with mast rotation. That was an issue. There is a cleat( behind mast..but missing the first hole the line goes through) on the trampoline for this purpose but I didn't want to put that much tension on the trampoline just yet. It seems like it could tear it apart.
And I plan to get a crimper and small leader....

My SC 20 purchase included a 2 peice 1 1/4 aluminum tube 14' long. There seems to be a plastic sleeve missing that held them together. Does this have anything to do with a spinnaker or other sail??
I just saw sail # 129 (my number for the 20) on a youtube video at Mission Bay. I know that is where one of the owners had raced years ago. It may even be the same catamaran on that video. I do think he had it set up for racing at one time.

Pic of Waldo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.