Permagrin all over again!

General Sailing Discussion
VI Mike
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 22

Permagrin all over again!

Post by VI Mike »

Got the SC22 back in action after a repair hiatus. Have sailed it in a steady 8-10 mph breeze with my 14 year old daughter and just about 20mph with a seasoned cat sailor! Both times were just magic! What a truly incredible boat! It just telegraphs so well what it intends to do, not like the hobie that gives you about .00005 seconds to react to an unexpected puff. I just love the boat and I have hardly scratched the surface of tuning.

Got an absolutely beautiful new tramp from Tom and the crew a few days ago and it makes the boat look new. Tom and co were just super supportive and always there with technical issues and reccomendations regarding anything we needed to know and this boat is well out of warranty :)

I have a bunch of video I'm going to try to put up soon. Thanks to every one here for making such an amazing boat!

Mike
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Re: Permagrin all over again!

Post by Eric2101 »

Jealous........ Bad Ass Boat...
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
davefarmer
Hot Shot

Post by davefarmer »

"Permagrin" might be a great name for the boat! We've been sailing the 22 from leeward in light air,with crew running mainsheet, and have been able to pop the windward hull free in 4 to 5 kts of breeze, and keep it out for miles at a time. The wind here is so much more steady in light air, and the puffs are only a knot or two over average windspeed, so controlling the heel is very managable. Requires intense concentration and quick but smooth responses, SO rewarding! This is an unbelievably sensitive and precise machine, such a joy to sail.

Dave
Eric2101
Professional

Post by Eric2101 »

Wild Thing! Get to leeward and forward, drive the bows and get the sterns clear.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
davefarmer
Hot Shot

Post by davefarmer »

Yeah, been doin' that. Even trapping to leeward and way forward, parallel to(atop) the lee hull. Which really does lift the stern free, which produces a noticable bump in speed. To sail this boat well is a very athletic undertaking, and hugely rewarding. I'm wasted and happy at the end of a sailing day.

Dave
Eric2101
Professional

Post by Eric2101 »

Trappin forward on the lee hull... That is cool stuff.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
VI Mike
Novice

Post by VI Mike »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOoGMfN0cGQ

Some decent shots of our 22
VI Mike
Novice

Nice footage of SC 22 moving down the road

Post by VI Mike »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7LzE3u7Bw

Would be cool to see a fellow owner comment on you tube.
VI Mike
Novice

Post by VI Mike »

Wrong link :oops:

http://youtu.be/d3ok9j2hYJ8

The other stuff was me trying to educate my right wing nut brother in-law. I'm no pinko nut job but there are always two sides to each story.
VI Mike
Novice

Breaking the cross beams

Post by VI Mike »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU3MoslJdrw

Totally our fault for not doing a yearly inspection of the crossbeams. Another lesson learned :) Still totally in love with this boat! Really want a brand new one. Working on it :) Have a look at this video showing us sailing just as super storm sandy was forming over the USVI. It wasn't really blowing that hard. Lucky for us, and if you look closely enough, the clouds parted and the wind really lightened up as soon as we broke the boat.

Thanks to all for posting the info. I have tried to get more forward on the boat and it does work. I would love to see someone post a video of them righting an SC22. Any takers?

Merry Christmas!

Mike
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

OUCH!!!! well better the BEAM and not the HULLS.... either way just glad no one was hurt... hope you have a Merry Christmas...
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

WOW!! Lucky .. that could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I'm wondering if your dolphin strap bolts came loose first and then allowed the mast to rest on the beam. Relatively easy fix.