ARC 2101 Texas

General Sailing Discussion
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

ARC 2101 Texas

Post by fjviola »

Reckon it's time to make an introduction on this here cyber-colloquium of ARC/Supercat owners before all the leaves drop and baggy shorts are replaced with neoprene body-condoms. I am the proud 3rd owner of ARC 2101 (purchased from Eric Albogast of Davie, FL) and have been plundering the washing machine chop of upper Galveston Bay (Texas) the last four months learning/honing the endowment of this incredibly designed full-figured Lady.

Having destroyed two (2) Supercat 17's over the last three years (both built prior to 1986 and evolution of stronger "epoxy" resin), while pushing a third (circa 1988) to 20 knots, the opportunity to dance with a true ARC cat was made without hesitation. On Labor Day she carried 600 lbs of payload (two crew trapped out and me on stick), jumped waves, flew hulls and recorded 17.5 knots (GPS). The shared-lift daggerboard design (boards forward of the front crossbar) truly increases stability and speed (as advertised), plus provides huge real-estate across a very clean tramp.

Novice to flying catamaran kites, the addition of this downwind sail is exhilarating. After Saturday's 18.8 knot (GPS) broad-reach (non-spin) in 3 ft chop and heavy air (20 knots helicopter windsock on beach was 'stiff'), we finally got a good run Sunday on lake-like flat water in the bay. Letting out the head as Tom Haberman suggested when on a reach, She powered up and allowed my 240 lbs to ride on the wire. GPS clocked us at 14.8 knots (wind 6-8 knots) with a sail-tape 'calico' kite that even sports Gorilla Tape on the foot. This ready-to-retire chute is perfect training wheels until it's time to pull the new Tornado-cut Kite out of the bag.

Personal THANKS to Tom Haberman for answering all my probing phone calls and emails. Your unwavering help and support of all four (4) SC/ARC cats I have driven is Invaluable! Thanks too to Eric Arbogast who I continue to glean piloting tips. ARC 2101 is bringing a lot of :D 's to all who trap out on her 'superstructure' here in Texas!

franklin VIOLA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.