Hobie 16

General Sailing Discussion
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Re: Hobie 16

Post by SC15Av8or »

Instead of a second hook we have done this with a wire pendent attached to the top of the mainsail. The halyard ring connects to the end of this pendent and still hooks at the top of the mast. To get the ring to un-hook easily we tie a small diameter (1/8") piece of low stretch line to the ring and then to the clew of the sail once the main is hoisted. When you go to unhook you can pull on the small line to get the ring off the hook.

Matt can you through a picture of what you are talking about on here?? I'm not seeing it.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Kevin,
The ARC22 is very nearly the same boat as the SC20 tall rig. Both are designed for ligt to medium winds. At 12mph winds both boats are double trapeze, both boats are maxed out. The 22 has a little more pitchpole resistance than the 20 because of the extra length at the bow. Both boats have large sail areas and very high centers of effort. This automatically leads to a large pitching tendency. You can reef the 22 back to standard SC20 sail size and it is a faster boat in high winds. A smaller jib , ~65% area, helps Keep things in balance also. The reefed down rig is good up to 20mph winds. More wind than that reef again. Remember that the force of the wind increases as the square of the wind speed. Going from 10mph winds to 20mph winds, the wind speed obvisously doubled and the force of the wind went up by four times. Going from a 10mph wind to 14mph wind, the force of the wind doubled.
Bill
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

What would you say about wind speeds for the SC20 standard rig?
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: Hobie 16------Relative Windspeed!!!

Post by Bill Roberts »

The standard SC 20 is double trapeze in 15mph winds and is maxed out and a handfull at 18mph winds. Reef this sail down about another 6ft to sail in 20mph winds with speed. A small jib always goes with a small main. When the gusts hit 25 mph, don't go sailing. You are just going to break things. If you want to sail regularly in 20 to 25mph winds, that is a whole different ball game with a different rig, different sails a hole new design project. Remember you are sailing on relative windspeed. If you are on a reach in a 20mph wind and you are going 20mph, the relative windspeed blowing through your rig is nearly 30mph. The wind pressure at 30mph is 2.25 times as great as it is at 20mph or 4 times as great as it is at 15mph or 9 times as great as it is at 10mph. We have to respect relative wind speed on fast boats.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Thanks, great information.

My 20 has the wire to rope halyard. There is a second slug on the wire part of the halyard, is that a reef pont?

And I don't want to sail in those high winds!
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Yes, that is a factory reef point. Does the sail have the matching reef points X ft up from the foot?
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

It does not. The previous owner had a local to him loft make the sails, something I hope to rectify over time as money allows.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Pro,
If the new sail does not have a "hard braid" bolt rope, the soft bolt rope will pull out ot the mast at the reefed position and make a mess. SC and ARC catamarans have all of these little QUALITY appointments built into them that most boat owners are not aware of.
When you get a new or spare part from another source, it may not work right because the quality is not there. Somebody built it a little cheaper. Then in use things don't work right and the low quality chickens come home to roost.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

I agree. Didn't buy the sails, came with the boat.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

The old sail would be helpful if it is around. You could see how the reef foot of the sail was made, gromet locations etc.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

I've got the old sails, will take a look at them. They have an F on them.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

The F stands for Formula Racing Sailboats. That was the original name of the business that built Super Cats. Those hulls were built with good workmanship and they are lightweight. The Boston Whaler hulls were not so light.
Laz
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Post by Laz »

I concur that my ancient SC15 (1984 BostonWhaler!) beats banana-hulled HC16s. I haven't gone up against any of the newer HC hulls.

The discussion of the SC hull design is intriguing, but I have to say that the increased section above the waterline at the bow makes tacking tough in heavy air.
"Sonja" - SC15, Havre de Grace MD (top of the Chesapeake).
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

And it makes pitchpoling much less likely and it gives the boat a higher top speed. What's your choice???
Laz
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Post by Laz »

Bill Roberts wrote:And it makes pitchpoling much less likely and it gives the boat a higher top speed. What's your choice???
Oh yes, it's very nice to know that even when the bows are 95% under water, they'll pop back up.

These are engineering trade-offs, and I'm not complaining at all - I love my cat!
"Sonja" - SC15, Havre de Grace MD (top of the Chesapeake).