Buzzelli Regatta

General Sailing Discussion
Bruiser
Professional
Boat Make/Model: RC 27

Buzzelli Regatta

Post by Bruiser »

This is a great event that I hope "we" can get a big turn out of Supercats 15, 17, 19 20, 21 and the ARC 22's.

Right now we have a RC27 committed and Bill Roberts with his RC30 committed to going. We have another RC27 in the wings trying to make it happen as well.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/6417

This will be a great chance at hopefully making this an Aquarius Sail Rendezvous as well. Kind of our get together as well, if there can be such a thing. I am thinking this would be a good chance for folks of similar design to learn and compare notes on how to sail our boats. This event is targeted by the F18 Class, the Stilleto Classes and the F trimarans.

If you have not been to a regatta before with Bill Roberts, he is very approachable with any questions you might have. Not to mention that with his son Eric, make a very difficult team to beat under any circumstance.

Please check it out and give it your best shot.

Cheers
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Re: Buzzelli Regatta

Post by havliii »

That's the weekend of the full moon, already made plans for night sailing at Kerr Lake NC. I'll add the 2014 Buzelli to my 'gotta do this list.'
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Bruiser... I am sailing with Havliii that weekend as well. We need to plan a little further out. Lets start looking at some thing next year and really work on rallying the troops. It can be done with a bit more planning and word of mouth. Don't let this idea die though. It would be great to have this gathering. No matter the venue, location.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

Can't make Buzzelli either, but would come to something. There some races in Florida after the first of the year.
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Lets see if we can start planning one for next year and give every one enough lee way. This is a GREAT IDEA and I would hate to see it die.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

A friend and I are planning on doing the Steeplechase in December, not sure if we are going to do it on my 20 or an F18.

Some races that might be a possibility that come to mind....

Spring Fever in Geogia (Easter weekend) it's can racing but there are usually 60+ cats there with usually 5 different class starts.

Mug Race (June or July I think) in Jacksonville (?) Florida

I think there is another distance race out of Miami as well.

Steeplecahse (second weekend in December) out of Key Largo Florida

There are a few distance races out of Ocean Springs, Mississippi

With some notice we should be able to get to any of those (we already go to Spring Fever) with the 20 or 19Xl if it doesn't sell
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Matt, Tom, or Bill do you know of any other races or runs out there ?? The more options we have the better we can plan one to all meet at.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Bruiser
Professional
Boat Make/Model: RC 27

Post by Bruiser »

The Buzzelli Regatta had a big turn out of multihulls. The regatta had a distance race on friday and then around the cans on Sat/Sun.

In the distance race there was a dozen Stilletos, a dozen F-boats (trimarans of all sizes) a formula 30 cat, a custom 40 cat, a tornado, G Cat, Foiling trimaran and an RC27 and an RC30.

In the distance race first across the line RC30 correcting to 1st. RC27 was 2nd across line correcting 2nd. They had the Stilletos/Fboats on some sort of PHRF rating system, to protect them from comparison, however there was no question that the RC boats were overwhelmingly faster than all of the rest of the multihulls out there. I think that had to impress at least some of the multihull community.

Wish more of you all could have joined us. We chased Bill all weekend with the 27 after the 30 and never really gave him any difficulty, but we sure did learn alot. Hope to see more folks next year.

ps, foiling has a long way to go....

Cheers
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Awesome to hear this man. Yes more next year would be great!! Can you put up a few pics or links to videos ??? 8)
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Does anyone have the distance race results sailed on Friday? I can show you how to do some really neat calculations
that reveal some very interesting facts about the performance of boats in this race if I had the data. I can't find it.
Bill
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Looks like the results can be found here:

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/641 ... om+results
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Distance Race results finally. I have tried to attach then to this letter but I can't find them. I don't find this forum user friendly.
Anyway on to what I wanted to say. We took the RC30 over to Sarasota for the Buzzelli Race. On Friday there was a short distance race out in the Gulf 15 miles long. The race course was a 2.5 n mi leg to windward followed by a 5 n mi reach to the south and then a reach back to the windward mark and then 2.5 n mi downwind tacking to the start/finish boat. The breeze was 8 knots with occasional puffs to 10 knots. The race took us 1.25 hours and the RC27 followed closely at 1.34 hours. There was also a 40ft racing cat, PHRF of -102, in the race, finished third and then there were several trimarans, F28s and F28Rs and Randy Smyth on his F25C.
The thing that caught my attention was our average boat speed relative to the true wind speed. Our total distance travelled was 2.5 n mi X 1.4 for tacking plus 5 n mi plus 5 n mi plus 2.5 n mi X 1.4 for tacking downwind. Our total distance travelled over the water was 17 n mi. Our average speed was 17 n mi / 1.25 hrs = 13.6 n mi/ hr. The average wind speed was 9 knots. Our boat speed to wind speed ratio was 13.6 knots / 9 knots = 1.5.
I thought that was pretty good.
The next day the five races were around the bouys, windward leeward. The windward leg was a 1.25 n mi up and 1.25 n mi back. We finished the first race in 12 minutes to the amazement of the race committee. After that the races were increased to two laps and our ET was 22 minutes. On Sunday morning the weather forecast was 1 to 2 knots all day so we packed up Sunday morning and did our 4 hour drive home. The facility at Sarasota is very nice and races were run well. I would go back next year.
Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Bill that's pretty cool. I would love to see your boat race. Maybe I can hitch a ride sometime in the future. My folks just moved to Naples. How far are you from there?
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Some nice pics of the Buzzelli Rendezvous can be see on this blog site. (impressive list of participants, Gougeon, Wormwood, Smyth, Roberts!)

http://planingaround.blogspot.com/2013/ ... iling.html
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Thanks havliii,
I went to the blog site....no pictures of RC27 or 30. We are the boats that blew everybodys doors off in the distance race. We beat the 40ft Rogers boat that had never been beaten in any race before according to locals.
As registered we were to sail the bouy races with the tris. After the distance race, they moved us to sail on a different course with two other PN boats and the WETA Tris. I wonder why they did that?