2014 Florida Schedule

General Sailing Discussion
Bruiser
Professional
Boat Make/Model: RC 27

2014 Florida Schedule

Post by Bruiser »

Hoping to get more Supercat's, ARC's and RC's to joins us in 2014.

We are planning to target these regattas for 2014 and I hope more of you guys will joins us. They are:

Miami to Key Largo - Miami - April 2014

Mug Race - Palatka-Jacksonville - May 2014

Around the Island Race - Ft Walton - Sept? 2014

Buzzelli Multihull Regatta - Sarasota - Oct 2014

Start making plans. Why have I targeted these regattas? Well those are the one's Bill takes his RC30 to, so seemed like a good place top start.

We plan to be at the line for these races next year so drag your boats down for some fun.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: 2014 Florida Schedule

Post by Mac M »

Do you happen to know the date of the Mug Race? Do you need any kind of ground crew? I'm assuming you don't start and stop at the same place.

I should have my 20 done by early spring, might hit this one.
Bruiser
Professional

Post by Bruiser »

Mac M wrote:Do you happen to know the date of the Mug Race? Do you need any kind of ground crew? I'm assuming you don't start and stop at the same place.

I should have my 20 done by early spring, might hit this one.
Mug Race is May 3rd, 2014. The logistics are arranged by the Club. Launch in Palatka, Florida and finish in Jacksonville, Fl. The Club (in Jacksonville) has buses running back and forth to Palatka. After launching your boat, you bring your trailer and car to the Club in Jacksonville. Either take the bus back to Palatka on Friday or early Saturday Morning. You can also leave your trailer in Palatka and take a bus back down to Palatka after the race. The are also a lot of sailors going back and forth and it is usually not difficult to get a rider either way.

Cheers
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Rich,
The Ft Walton race seems to have dried up. Less than 10 boats last year.
We need another location. In the summer where would the MN boats like to race?
Any suggestions in Savanaha or Va?
Bruiser
Professional

Post by Bruiser »

Bill Roberts wrote:Rich,
Bill, I thought it might be worth another try. Mike K had his ARC22 ready to go, but bailed because of the weather. there was also quite a number of other boats that bailed due to the weather. He had his boat is all spiffed up and there was talk he was going to try and rebuild that race again. So I thought it might be food for thought.

Cheers
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by J Drew »

So tell me about this Ft Walton race, assuming its on next year, I might be interested.
Bruiser
Professional

Post by Bruiser »

J Drew wrote:So tell me about this Ft Walton race, assuming its on next year, I might be interested.
This is the Around the Island Race. Start at Ft Walton Yacht Club, race into the gulf to Pensacola and then back to Ft Walton in the ditch. It is about a 100 mile race. There was talk of moving this race back to September time frame. We had a good time this past year.
Laz
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Post by Laz »

If there is anything organized on the Chesapeake, let me know and we'll anchor our SC15 as the windward mark...

There is a fleet of cats just south of Annapolis, maybe we could set something up there.
"Sonja" - SC15, Havre de Grace MD (top of the Chesapeake).
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Bill Roberts wrote:Rich,
ONE TO CONSIDER:

One notable event on the Chesapeake Bay is the Annapolis to Oxford Race. The race is typically the second weekend in September. It is open event, the various classes start in 5 minute intervals slowest boats first and fastest boats last. Beach Cats are usually the last class across the start line and sail through a 130+ boat fleet. The course record is held by a Seacart 30. (this year a carbon N20 starting nearly dead last was the second boat across the line) The weather can be very fickle, most years it is a downwind screamer, but not every year, this year was moderate. The course is a backwards J shape so it is not a total sleigh ride, knowing the tidal currents and playing the various lanes on the bay can be critical to a good finish.

There is a return race to Annapolis the following day called the Hammond Memorial. Logistics are not onerous but can be trying, decent hotels in the area fill way ahead of the race date.
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by J Drew »

What's the distance on the Annapolis to Oxford race?
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Annapolis to Oxford: Sailing the shortest possible line, 29.3 miles. Typically this is not the fastest line.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Bruiser,
Did you get a set of the stiffer rudder springs from Tom yet????
April and May races are coming fast!
Bruiser
Professional

Post by Bruiser »

Bill Roberts wrote:Bruiser,
Did you get a set of the stiffer rudder springs from Tom yet????
April and May races are coming fast!
We had some in the trailer. However we did get our new tramp from Tom. It is designed for the 2 aluminum poles down the center. That should about bring this boat up to the others.

Looking forward to Miami - Key Largo

Cheers
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Bruiser,
If you have not purchased new RC27/30 rudder springs from Tom recently, you do not have the strongest ones. Rudder springs don't wear out. Springs have a spring constant, pounds per inch of stretch, that is determined by the wire size, diameter, the spring is made of. As it has turned out, the original rudder springs that I had made back in 1981 are not strong enough to hold the 27 rudders down at speeds over 20 knots. Please get new rudder springs, Jan 2014, from the factory and install them on the 27s rudderheads and you will not have anymore surprise rudder kickups due to speed. Don't forget to lubricate the four vertical slots in the rudderheads with white lithium grease while you are changing the springs.
Don't forget to throw the old springs away.
Bruiser
Professional

Post by Bruiser »

Ok Thanks, and Have a Happy New Year.