Boat weight

General Sailing Discussion
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Boat weight

Post by Mac M »

Figured I would start this in a new thread since it really has nothing to do with the 2013 Steeplechase thread where it started. Anyway........

My boat is fat! According to Bill the SC20 hull should weigh 120lbs from Boston Whaler or 110 from Formula. I just put mine (1982 Boston Whaler) back inside after painting, one hull weighed 147lbs and the other was 150. I guess repairs over the years, probably some absorbed water, and the primer and paint I put on it have added up.

My weighing method was to pick up the bow while standing on a bathroom scale and then do the same with the stern. I subtracted my body weight from the bow and stern weights and then added the weights together. I had someone else pick up the opposite end of the hull I was weighing.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: Boat weight

Post by Bill Roberts »

Mac,
Just remember every time a boat moves ahead one boat length, it must push aside an amount of water equal to the total boat plus people on the boat weight , total gross weight. So your boat has to push aside an extra 50 pounds or so of water to move ahead one boat length relative to a Formula boat. That is more drag.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Yeah, I have to weigh mine sometime too. Doubt it's close to the original either.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

It would be interesting to see how other hulls and from different years weigh in.

My wife and I are on the lighter side (280lbs combined) so I guess that will help
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

That's 280 pounds of water that needs to be moved! out of the way !!!!! :P