Bridle Foils??

General Sailing Discussion
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Bridle Foils??

Post by Mac M »

No it happened when they were on the water the day before in some big wind. They did not notice it until they were about to go back out the next day. I sent the picture to Tom a good while back asking his thoughts and whether it might be repairable. He said it looked like a 'classic compression crack'. He said that it most likely didn't happen all at once, but grew (at least that's what I think he said, it was a few months ago) I guess they didn't notice it until it got to this point.

Here's a picture of the inside, you can see where it looks like the bulkhead let go on the inside.

havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Thanks for clarifying, Mac. What year was the boat? I am sure that anything can be repaired (case in point the Oracle boat) but would it be economically viable? Probably not. Unless of course you are using Larry Ellison's money.

If you have these SAME 'indications' on your new acquisition, I would seriously consider adding a sh*tpot full of carbon to the highly loaded areas. Cosmetics be damned, sand her down and get the vacuum bags out, fix the structural, worry about pretty later. That's my mantra.

Thanks again for passing the info along to this group, education is always a good thing.

Regards,
Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

I don't have the issues on the current 20.

I've got those red hulls in a barn, not sure what will become of them. I didn't buy the boat with intentions of fixing, just wanted the tall rig and Kevlar sails :D
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Mac M wrote:Here's a picture of the wrinkles Dan is talking about, I assume. This is from the red one I redid a couple years ago and just bought back. It had a failure at this same spot on the other hull (pictured). The white one that I just finished has the same look at the bulkheads under the front beams.
I am just confused I guess. Glad to hear that your newer 20 does not have the same issues.

I made a video camera rig that I can drop in the inspection port and take a 360 degree view of the interior. I'll post one to you tube. I am working on a rig that can inspect the interior of a boat that has no inspection plate. It is a home made 'sewer cam' that can be inserted into the drain plug and snaked all the way to the bow. I ran the feed back to a small (2.5") TV monitor and even in low light it is pretty amazing what you can see.

I might be interested in those newer sails you got from Dennis. What's the asking?
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

I have heard you need to be careful mixing carbon fiber with fiberglass because they stretch differently under stress. That can lead to separation, especially when there is foam in between them.

I had the same bulkhead separation issues with mine but as you can see from my restoration I cut holes for access and re-glassed the areas.
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by J Drew »

You guys are scaring me with all this talk about wrinkles, buckles and cracks. I hope my hulls aren't that bad.