Miami to Key Largo Race

General Sailing Discussion
Bill Roberts
Expert

Miami to Key Largo Race

Post by Bill Roberts »

For us the race started good at 8:AM. We were able to sail right down the race course line, compass heading, flying the chute with two persons sitting on the windward hull and one to leeward and flying the hull for miles at a time. We were able to sail faster and lower than the narrow beach cats for the first 10 miles of the race. Then the wind almost stopped. We sailed very slowly back and fourth across the Biscayne Bay chasing the light breeze marks on the water here and there. We sailed through the Cutter Bank Channel. This is a long shallow area. In general we frequently checked the east side of the bay, looking back at, hoping for the east breeze fill in. It finally got to us about two o'clock as we drifted under the Card Sound Bridge. As we started toward the finish line, the last 5 miles, the wind was east but very light. By the time we got half way to the finish line, the breeze was increasing and one trap required. When we got to the finish line, two traps were used. The straight line stretch from the bridge to the finish took us about 45 minutes, so we finished around 2:45 PM. We crossed the finish line, did a U turn and headed for the MYC.
We got back to the Rickenbacker Causeway, a mile longer than the 42 mile long race course, at 4:45 PM, just laid back cruising. It was a beautiful sail back; I wish I had a video camera with me so I could show you all how easy it is to sail the boat at speed. Looking aft from the boat, the trail through the water looks like a fast moving outboard rig with twin engines. Everything is there except the noise and the rough ride.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Re: Miami to Key Largo Race

Post by SC15Av8or »

AWESOME report Bill !!! How did you fair out time wise and standing wise in the fleet ?!?! Pictures would have been really great !!
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Re: Miami to Key Largo Race

Post by Kevin Keller »

Thanks Bill. I agree post some pictures if available. Sounds like a fun race.