2015 regattas

General Sailing Discussion
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

2015 regattas

Post by Mac M »

To build on Dan's Hijack about racing Supercats on the repair thread :lol: , where will those of you who race go this year? It would be pretty cool to get some of these boats together!

We will most likely go to Sail the Bay in Virginia Beach on our 17 in May (5/16&17?)

There's usually a SC or 2 at The Duck Cup in the Outer Banks of NC in June. Short to medium 2 day distance race. Start and return to the same place both days.

I host a regatta for EMSA http://www.emsa-sailing.org. In the Midlands of South Carolina, April 25th&26th. I raced my SC20 there in the fall and would race it or the 17 if others were interested in coming. Could probably be talked into loaning one of them to the right person(s).

Let's hear who's going where?
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Re: 2015 regattas

Post by DanBerger »

I do apologize for the hijack, but it was good advice--just not the advice he was looking for.

So, for races, Jason says he is racing this year, but we don't believe him. He has some work to do on his boat. And his house. And his car. And he has family stuff.

I'm planning on:

Sail the Bay, Va Beach May 15-17. Looks like it is going to be one big open class around the buoys this year. Doubt we'll get any A cats, we might get the Sharks for their Mid Winters.

Gunboat race in OBX Memorial Day. If they have an open class, I'll try to make it. I might have to borrow an A cat.

Spring Fever in SC Easter weekend. If they hold it this year, I am thinking about going.

RRR in Farnham, don't know dates, yet. That is a fun race and the lodging and launching are great!!

Duck Cup in OBX June ??. Great distance race, great launch ramp with people to help you. Camping on site, lots of hotels nearby.

Various family fin races in Va Beach

Labor Day event in Va Beach. Great distance race around the bridge tunnel.

Son of Duck Cup - date TBD, OBX. Same distance race, different time of year.

Hobie Fleet 32 Fleet championships/Ron Anthony Regatta. Date TBD in October.

I really want to do the Steeple Chase in Florida, but I hear they won't let single-handers in, anymore.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

I'm hearing June 6-7 for Duck Cup. it's looking like EMSA is making it an official points race this year not that that has anything to do with what we're talking here. There's a good chance I'm bring the 17 here as well.

Spring Fever is most likely dead. Nigel is considering something small Easter Weekemd, nothing on SF scale.

One of these days I'd like to take the 20 to a distance race, but will need to find crew besides my wife.
Bruiser
Professional
Boat Make/Model: RC 27

Post by Bruiser »

Here are some races we are targeting for this year with the RC 27.

Miami to Key Largo - end of April

Mug Race - May 2nd

Around the Island Race - Ft Walton Beach, Fl (Sometime -Sept?)

Buzzelli Regatta Sarasota- Nov?

Cheers
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Rich,
The NC Outer Banks is a great place to sail. The thermal breeze comes in every sunny day about noon and it is steady 12 knots onshore out of the east. I sailed there once at an old seaplane port. There was plenty of room for parking etc and a ramp so wide 10 boats could launch at the same time . Again a good place to sail. It seems like the name of the town
was Manteo, NC.
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

Manteo and Wanchese are on the same island in the OBX, Roanoke Island. There is an old airport in Manteo near the aquarium that you might have been to. There is another airport on the other side of the island. the Gunboat event will be in Wanchese, that's the only reason I'm mentioning it.

The OBX is a great place to sail and they are making it more sailor friendly. The only problem is that it is very shallow until you get to the channel, then it is plenty deep for boards. In the summer, though, there is a lot of grass in the water and you need to clear your boards often. Of course, there is always seems to be some forest fire on the mainland side, so we have smoky days, too.

Bill is right about the wind. It is a beautiful place to sail.
Bruiser
Professional
Boat Make/Model: RC 27

Post by Bruiser »

Bill Roberts wrote:Rich,
The NC Outer Banks is a great place to sail. The thermal breeze comes in every sunny day about noon and it is steady 12 knots onshore out of the east. I sailed there once at an old seaplane port. There was plenty of room for parking etc and a ramp so wide 10 boats could launch at the same time . Again a good place to sail. It seems like the name of the town
was Manteo, NC.
If we can get some interest in some SC/ARC folks going to an event in the OBX area, I would be up for learning a new place to sail. I know nothing about the races in that area of the World. However I am game for it.
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Post by gahamby »

If you go to the Outer Banks, stay here.

http://cypressmooninn.com/wpp/