So, How about a tutorial on Spin sailing? Bill?

General Sailing Discussion
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

So, How about a tutorial on Spin sailing? Bill?

Post by DanBerger »

I'm installing a spinnaker on my 15 this winter and I'm looking for tips on sailing the big sail. I have crewed on an I20 with a spin and I have sailed my own Hobie 14 with a Hooter. I'm just looking for some advice.

I would appreciate an overview of what to look for, what to do in certain situations, sheeting techniques, tuning, crew placement..

One difference is that I am using a top-down furler, so I have to set my uphaul on the beach, I won't be raising the sail on the water. Tom mentioned that the proper tension is set by grabbing the front of the sail and being able to turn your hand 90 degrees--at least, that's what I think he said.

I have a flat track self-tacking system. I'll be sailing solo all the time, too.

Thanks Bill, your insight is always appreciated!
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: So, How about a tutorial on Spin sailing? Bill?

Post by Bill Roberts »

The expression is "sail it hot". This means with spin trimmed in snug to leeward shroud, sail the boat on a close reach to the relative wind direction flying the hull. Trim jib out slightly from going to windward. Mainsail trimmed in snug same as going to windward. Spin needs taletells about one ft aft from luff tape. Trim all sails to taletells. To sail a little higher in light winds, ease the spin luff another 4 ins and sail to the taletells on the spin. Trim the jib to its relltales. Trim the main to its telltales. The jib and main will be trimmed close to sailing to windward in the same wind conditions. If you can't hold the boat down, head down until you can hold it. Spin may require slight ease. Boat will accelerate so jib and main trims probably will not require easing as relative wind moves forward. When the hull flies too high, head down smoothly. When dragging the windward hull, head up if the spin will let you. Just "keep it hot, keep the hull flying and let'er rip'!
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Well I guess that is Bill's sail-by-the-seat-of-his-pants spinnaker sailing method! Thanks for that info!

I have previously sailed an I20 with a spin and we let the main traveler out about 4-6 inches, but kept it pretty tight. We let the jib out a little more, too, to get a larger slot. You're saying to center the traveler and keep the main tight? Interesting.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Dan,
If the boat is slow with spin and doesn't build much relative wind speed, then you will trim the sails out somewhat to go downwind with the spin.
If the boat is fast and builds much relative windspeed with spin, then the relative windspeed direction will go well forward and force you to sail deeper downwind with the sails in tight. You might need to let the main traveller out a little if you can't hold the boat down and sail the desired course.
High performance boats are great teachers!!!
They accelerate hard and show you what to do to go fast; they talk to you, sometimes loudly.
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Yes, they do speak loudly--I learned a lot from my A cat, that's for sure. Everything happens faster. Acceleration, de-acceleration, people passing you, crashing, falling off the boat. All faster.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

will it depend on the cut of the spi and the sheeting point to determine whether you have a reaching spi or a down wind spi?
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15