Moss Landing Race

General Sailing Discussion
efinley
Professional

Moss Landing Race

Post by efinley »

So this weekend we had a "race" from Santa Cruz to Moss Landing here in CA. It is about 16 miles across the Monterey bay. Weather was beautiful, winds were probably in the teens. The sailing was between a broad reach and downwind. I haven't posted here in a while... But I am a fairly experienced sailor but not a big racer, I wasn't there to race, I was there to have an awesome day on the bay! But of course once you get a dozen boats on the water it quickly becomes a race. I finished in 1h 14 min and the winner was on a new Nacra F18 and finished in 1:07. I was out in front until the last couple miles when the wind shifted to more downwind and the spin guys caught up. So I was 7 mins behind the F18, 1 min behind a H18/spin and 10 seconds behind a H18SX/spin running tiger sails (boy that looked cool).

I'm sure that I could have beaten both of the H18's if I knew what I was doing sailing downwind, I was just faking it. :) I might have been able to beat the F18, but he was fast! In fairness he also said he had to stop on the water for repairs at 1 point so he could have been faster too.

But that isn't the reason for this post. Every time I sail my SC20 in the ocean I remember why I love that boat, it is so smooth out on the water. It might be a little wet at times, but that is why I have crew, they stop most of the water. :) I've spent most of the past couple years sailing my H18 with wings because it is so good for the kids to play on and a little quicker to set up. But when the time comes for a guys weekend the SC gets the nod every time! :)

I added a couple of pics of the boat and my GPS track (after I remembered to turn it on :))

-Eric
SC20 #113
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Re: Moss Landing Race

Post by J Drew »

That's cool, winning isn't everything if you have a good time. Well, we try to believe that right? :? :(

Santa Cruz and Monterey bay are beautiful this time of year. Give it a few months and it's a bit chily.
I'd love to go surfing there
Last edited by J Drew on September 1st, 2015, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

Totally agree about the weather. This is just the right time of year. :)

Also as I look at the pic of my boat I'm reminded that I really need to order a new tramp soon. But I've been saying that for a couple years now... It is functional but ugly.
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by J Drew »

I have an original tramp, same color, if you need it.
It's not pretty either, but it works.
I got one from Tom and I'm very pleased.
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll give Tom a call before too long. I just had the hulls redone and it really makes the tramp look even worse! :) Of course as my wife pointed out once I get the tramp I'll probably want new sails too!