SuperCat 17 Boom and Mast

Technical discussion of ARC products
wellsstyle
Novice

SuperCat 17 Boom and Mast

Post by wellsstyle »

I just bought a supercat 17 that was sitting in a field for a long time. The past owner bought it from an auction and knows very little about the boat. Im trying to figure out how the boom connects to the mast. I think the boom might be from a hobie 18. (The sail is to a hobie 18). Do you know if the boom connects to a fixed gooseneck on the mast or if it slides in the mast?
Skip Kaub
Novice

Re: SuperCat 17 Boom and Mast

Post by Skip Kaub »

That boat was not sold with a boom.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Just to clarify Skip's answer.
The only SuperCat product to utilize a boom in its design was the SuperCat 20. All of the other SuperCat & ARC products are designed to be rigged without a boom.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
wellsstyle
Novice

thanks

Post by wellsstyle »

I just recieved the manual and now see that it doesnt have a boom. The SC had a boom and H18 sails with it. The boom must belong to those sails.
wellsstyle
Novice

Post by wellsstyle »

is there any advantage to sailing without a boom. since i have the hobie 18 sail i may try to fix the boom to the mast. would there be any detrimental effects from doing this?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

One word, Simplicity!

Actually there are several reasons to go with a boomless rig, simplicity being high on the list. Safety is another reason, nothing to hit your head on with a boomless rig.

One of the main concerns I would have putting a boom on the 17 is that the rig was not designed for a boom, much less a boom off a Hobie 18. I don't know how well this is going to fit and it most likely will adversely affect mast rotation. In fact it could prevent the mast from rotating from one tack to the other which could result in breaking the mast. :(
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com