mast sections

Technical discussion of ARC products
SC20 808
Novice

mast sections

Post by SC20 808 »

Hi!

Would appreciate some info on the different mast setups and sections used in the history of the SC20 to the ARC 22 today.

- was the 10m mast and the 12m TR mast using the same mast profile or was the section for the TR different?

- the TR was using double spreaders. Have there ever been a 12 m aluminum mast with single spreaders? Was it using the same section (profile) as the TR?

- What was the weight of the TR mast and what is the weight saving of the carbon fibre masts?

Appreciating your answers!

Thanks

Dirk
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Dirk,

The mast profile has remained the same over the years. The only change to the extrusion that I am aware of relates to the internal profile of the sail track, this occured in the early 90's if I am not mistaken.

The mast section on both the 33' and 38' 6" mast is the same, but the rigging is quite different. The 33' mast has always been a single spreader rig. The 38' 6" mast started out on the 20TR as a triple spreader rig. When the ARC-22 was introduced we moved away from the triple spreader and utilized a single spreader design with multiple diamond wires, we continue to use this rig today.

Off hand I don't know the weight savings of the carbon mast over the aluminum, but Tom might have that information available.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com