Considering SC19- have questions racing DPN

General Sailing Discussion
Fasterdamnit
Novice

Considering SC19- have questions racing DPN

Post by Fasterdamnit »

Hi, all.

I am considering purchasing an SC 19 for local DPN open class racing in the Carolinas. We are on a very tight budget and have always raced with other folks cast-offs or broken stuff and done well. We were racing a G-Cat 5.7 but it is no longer in one piece. Loved the way it sailed but recognized it's rental boat design limitations. My 74 year old father is skippering for now (no trap) and I am working on getting my son into cat sailing.

Reasons for wanting the SC19-

All up crew weight pushing 400lbs. (either crew)
Forgiving when driven hard- pitchpole not a big issue (much like the 5.7, but better)
Boardless and boomless.
Would like to do one more Mug Race before my father decides he is not going to race cats anymore.
Will easily handle a spin and Aquarius provides factory support.

I would love to be able to stick close to the F18 guys at open races. Think it can do it?
The US Sailing PN of 69 seems pretty soft. Is it faster than that?
I am considering some form of hiking rack or wing/seat just for the helm- make it a bit easier for Pop to drive and hike. Think this can work?

I look forward to any and all comments,
Thanks,

Jim.
Go cheap and go fast! It really pisses off the guys that spent all that money to finish behind you.
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

well i'm a big supporter of the SC 19... although i havn't had much time on my boat (issues arise lol) i have raced against F18 in distance races and if i had a spinnaker i believe i would keep up... i did well against F18s up wind and actually outpointed them... just lost them on the down wind leg... i did have to put a mast limiter on so i could help flatten the sail out, as it can be way overpowering.... i am going to go to a self tacking jib and a spinnaker... Are you looking at a 19 that doesn't have daggers? if you get the 19 i will be looking to sailing against you in the future. the closest race i do to you is spring fever at lake hartwell.... but i won't be sailing my 19 this year....
Fasterdamnit
Novice

Post by Fasterdamnit »

I did not realize they had daggers. Either way is fine. And pointing better than an F18 is definitely a good thing. I like the idea of being able to upgrade as you are doing. How much is your total crew weight?

Thanks for the mast limiter idea.
Go cheap and go fast! It really pisses off the guys that spent all that money to finish behind you.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Jim,

There were three versions of the SC-19 over the years. The original SC-19 was introduced in 1982 and had daggerboards, a 28'9" mast and a 8' beam. It was rigged with the traditional overlapping jib sail. In about 1989 we introduced the 19XL which had a 33' mast, 8'6" beam and a traditional overlapping jib, it too had daggerboards. Around 1990 we introduced the 19X which retained the 33' mast and 8'6" beam, but was rigged with a self-tacking jib and the daggerboards were removed. The hull shape was always the same and in the later years the boat was offered with or without daggerboards (XL vs. X) and included the self-tacking jib.

Now some things to think about:
The SC-19 laminate, rig, etc was never designed for a spinnaker, but there are quite a few of them that are rigged that way and running without any problems as far as I am aware.

I would stay away from the mast rotator. More trouble then what it is worth in our opinion. Consider putting a stiff (think pipe) bottom batten in the mainsail, this should help control and depower the main if necessary.

Although the X & XL versions had a mast that was over 4' taller, the boat was much more predictable to sail compared to the older 28'9" rig. Overall the boat was a better performer and one could argue that it was tamer and less demanding then the original design.

We are not a fan of wings. I would be concerned about added loads on the hulls and rig. I would also be concerned about hull volume. Although the 19 has more volume then mosts boats in its size range, I might be concered about generating too much righting moment with the wings and overwhelming the hull volume.

I think the handicap numbers are relativly accurate, they have remained unchanged for a very long time which is a good indicator in my opinion that they are OK. The original 19 rates at 69 whereas the X/XL rates at 66.5 which is comparable to a Nacra 5.8. When we were racing the 19XL & X localling there was a very competive 5.8 on the lake, my recollection is that it was pretty much head-to-head racing with him.

One last thing, if you get a boat with boards, there is nothing that says you can't take them out and plug the holes :D

Hope this info helps...
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

So does anyone have any extra plugs lieing around for cheap???? lol..... might be nice when pleasure sailing.... guess i could make some pretty easy since they wouldn't have to be made really stong...
Fasterdamnit
Novice

Post by Fasterdamnit »

Thanks, Matt.

It is an early 19. And since we are not light, I am not worried about control. I am curious- If we pull the boards will the boat still be able to go to weather as well as with the boards? thanks for the pipe idea as well.

Regarding the wings- I have been thru this conversation before. Everyone immediately thinks standard wings that go the length of the tramp and that can be trapped off. That is NOT what I am talking about. The skipper would be sitting on some type of short wing or trapseat and the crew would trap from the hull as usual..If the boat was designed to handle two out on trap, then this should not add lot of extra righting moment.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Jim,

The key to getting the boardless SC-19 to go to weather is in getting the bow down and the transoms out of the water. Don't be afraid to drive the leward hull hard, this is what is going to give you the lateral resistance and abilty to point without the boards.
Here is a picture of an SC-17 going upwind, the same holds true on the boardless 19.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com