Barber Hauler

General Sailing Discussion
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Barber Hauler

Post by Kevin Keller »

Can someone give a dissertation on the correct use of the barber hauler?

Talking to a Hobie friend he says that he has his outboard when the winds are strong or light (I guess that means his is in when the winds are moderate).
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kevin,

Because of the wide beam on the 20 and the fact that the jib trims out to the hull causes the slot between the leech of the jib and the back side of the mainsail to be extra wide. The barber-hauler essentially pulls the clew of the jib in towards the main so you can properly adjust the slot between the main & jib. Going downwind the barber-hauler should be all the way out. Going upwind you pull it in to get a proper slot between the main & jib. Were exactly it needs to be I am not sure, you will have to experiment with this. You will want to avoid over doing it, if the barber-hauler is pulled in too far you will backwind the main & the boat will be slow.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Kevin,

The barber hauler on the SC20 was used to optimize the slot between mainsail and jib. Used correctly it will allow you to trim the jib so that the leech is the optimum distance from the main when going up wind.
You must be sure that you do not choke off the slot by pulling the barber hauler in too close.
Setting it on one tack will yield the same slot shape on the oposite tack.
Going down wind it may be best to ease the barber hauler and open the slot some. Each mainsail / jib sail will have it's optimum barber hauler position for each wind speed. You will have to experiment some and it can be helpfull mark the barber hauler line with marks or whipped thread to help duplicate the best postions.
The old saying " if in doubt , let it out" will help with your barber hauler settings. A choked slot is SLOW.
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Thanks for the replies.

So........ going upwind, do I pull it in until I see the mainsail luff starting to deform windward? Is that the best way to tune it?
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Kevin,

You are on the right track. Just do not pull it in too tight. If you can see backwind at all let it out. Try and mirror the leech shape of the jib to the mainsail shape .
If in doubt, let it out
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

I was actually just about to post a question about this. :)

How is this supposed to be rigged. I have a single line going through a jam cleat that is connected to 2 lines each going through a block attached to the boom. Each end of these lines is tied to a ring that 1 of the jib sheets runs through. Is this the way it is supposed to be rigged? I've only been sailing the boat for 15 years so I'm still learning... :)
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

That sounds right to me, or it least that is the way mine is rigged. I have small blocks on the end of my barber hauler lines instead of rings for one of the jib sheets to go in.

So the jib sheet looks like a triangle from the jib block (on the hull) to the jib clew to the barber hauler ring/block and ties off on the jib block.
Curious Pab
Novice

Post by Curious Pab »

I sail a SC 17 so please note that I am not barber-literate.

But I was wondering if some telltales on the jib leech might perhaps provide some useful input when tunning the barber hauler, or if this is not useful/reliable info when jib and main are overlapped.

-Pab