fiberglass repair

Technical discussion of ARC products
george
Devloping

fiberglass repair

Post by george »

So the SC 20 survived a mini-tornado, but ended up with a couple pressure cracks on the starboard hull deck, just forward of the rear crossbeam.

I have some pictures I will post soon. I sanded down the gel coat to get a better look, and the deck plate has delaminated from the underlying glass right at the back outside corner of the deck plate. I took down the gel coat and fairing material to glass, and the underlying glass looks fine, as does the deck plate.

So, I was probably going to sand down the corner of the deck plate to smooth it out with the underlying glass (right now there is a lip), then lay some glass over the seam. Would there be a better way to repair this? The delam is about 3 inches along the seam, and I doubt given the small crack that I would easily be able to squeeze much epoxy between the plate and glass. Any other thoughts on how best to repair.

I want to do this right, as this is where I plop my 225lb a@@ when driving sometimes, and want to restore the structural integrity as much as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

george
1980 SC 20 #55 "SuperFly"
george
Devloping

Post by george »

here are a couple pictures of the damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Does the deck move it all?

I guess the best way is to bevel everything and lay some fiberglass over it. I would think that would be plenty strong.

Or you could just fill it in with aerosil and resin.

Is it going to be ready for this weekend?

Kevin
george
Devloping

Post by george »

Kevin,

thanks, it should be, won't take long to do the work. One afternoon to lay the glass, another to sand and lay gel coat. Mostly depends on the weather. Today is not looking good, but the rest of the week looks fine.

Wind forecast for the weekend is light, but still several days out, changes so much here.

george
george
Devloping

Post by george »

Oh yea, the deck does move a little, not much, slightly more than the other hull. I guess i am trying to determine whether it would be worth cutting out the deck plate section that is delaminated, and redoing that, or is structurally, an easier fix will do.

george
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

What kind of movement are you talking about?

I was wondering if the deckplate had actually cracked away from the hull. Does it pull out?

Here is a photo of it from the inside. You probably already know what it looks like though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
george
Devloping

Post by george »

The picture does help. So the glass the deck plate is mounted to does not run continuously beneath the plate? In other words, if the deck plate came off, there would be a large hole in the top of the hull?

The deck plate does pull away from the glass a little. But It is not enough to slip a knife in between the glass and deck plate. I am hoping that jsut the edge of the deck plate separated, and not all the way through. Any idea what the overlap between the deck plate and glass is? 1 inch, 6 inches? If it is solid glass that the deck plate is mounted to, I should be able to fill the crack, and lay a little glass over the beveled deck plate.

I just don't want to end up putting my butt through the top of the hull when I get back on the water.

george
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Yes, if you removed it there would be long hole along the top between the forward and rear beam.

The deck plate is solid fiberglass and the surrounding hull is solid fiberglass also. There probably is a 1 inch overlap and it is glued on.

In your case I would probably bevel the area and then just lay some fiberglass over it. Maybe about a 3"-4" repair area. I wouldn't worry about it falling through.