oddball righting problem

Technical discussion of ARC products
efinley
Professional

oddball righting problem

Post by efinley »

OK so this weekend I flipped and managed to stay on the high side until everything stopped so I figured I might as well undo the shroud extender. While I was doing that the combination of my weight and the strong wind put the boat turtle. I got the boat unturtled easy enough but then realized I had righted it the wrong way my extended shroud was on the down side.

So my question is would I have been ok to undo the 2nd shroud extender or would that be too much play in the mast? I chickened out and fought with it until I got the down side shroud extender redone (which was not easy!) and then undid the high side shroud extender and righted it.

So would I have been OK? It doesn't seem like the mast would have crashed down but it also seems like a lot of slop in the rigging...

-Eric
SC20 #113
ultrarunner
Professional

Post by ultrarunner »

Eric, as I understand this righting system...I have the same on my SC 17...having both levers up certainly would work against us in a righting situation, as the top-side lever being up will sink the mast further in the water.

We definitely want the topside tight in a righting situation.

My SC manual has a pretty clear description of the process with the righting levers, and that is, in a addition to rolling in the jib, release the down-hull lever, step on the back of of the hull to bring her about and the cat will right.

I have not turned mine over yet, but hope to get out this week with a chase-boat and turn my SC 17 over and practice the righting procedure.

Mark
Tinkersailor
Novice

Post by Tinkersailor »

I had both undone at the same time once this summer. Dump...right..dump the other way (d'oh). The only thing that may have suffered is the mast retainer pin which now has a little bend in it. And yes the rig was quite loose and uncontrolled for a bit.

Leigh
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Eric,

You did the right thing by reconnecting the lower shroud and closing the lever. With both shrouds extended (or even just the levers open) you run the risk of breaking the mast pedestal/post.

In short, make sure you only have the upper lever open and shroud extended. If the bottom one is open, you will need to get it back closed before opening the other one.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

Thanks Matt. The mast base was actually one of the things I thought could be an issue. But man it was a PITA to redo it. I'm thinking next time I will try to find a way to use my adjustable trap system to put enough slack in the shroud to get it back together. Is there a better way?
-Eric
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

That is basically what we have decided we would do if we were caught in that situation again. There was also some discussion of having a small 4:1 setup on board that you could hook to the trap wire and the end of the beam so you could take the load off the side-stay if necessary.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

Ah my trap lines actually have a 4:1 system on them already. :) Not really sure I need them but the boat came that way so I have kept it.

Thanks for the advice.