SC 17 Main & Traveler adjustment (upwind)

General Sailing Discussion
Curious Pab
Novice

SC 17 Main & Traveler adjustment (upwind)

Post by Curious Pab »

I am getting to know my new (to me) ca.1988, Brazilian built, SC17.

It has a wire traveler, which I would normally pull all the way in when beating. However, a much more experienced cat sailor recommends keeping it about 6 inches off center. Why is this better?

The second question is related, and has to do with mainsheet. Again, normally I would pull it in almost block-to-block (yet you must consider that the wire traveler elevates at mid-crossbar and that I use a quick-release hook where the top blocks attach to the main; all this adds some distance).

I guess that if I was wrong on the traveler, perhaps I could also improve the mainsheet triming. Cheers!
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Brazilian built??
george
Devloping

Post by george »

Is that anything like Brazilian Cut?? Not sure I want to see that.
1980 SC 20 #55 "SuperFly"
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Just for clarification, there was a builder located in Brazil that was licensed to build the SC17 during the mid to late 1980's.
All components, including the hulls were manufactured in Brazil and sold in the South American marketplace.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Pab,

I don't know about letting out the traveler 6 inches, if that is better or not. Personally I would pull it in as tight as possible when beating especially if you have a wire traveler, which adds a little slop. I could be wrong though.

I am not a pro but that is an interesting question.

With solid beams I would replace the wire traveler with a track.

Kevin
Curious Pab
Novice

Post by Curious Pab »

Thanks guys for the reply and the interest. We sail in Paraguay, which is landlocked, North of Argentina. The Supercats started with a fleet of Brazilian SC17s and later on were brought some Boston Whalers, mostly from Michigan (both 15 and 17).

Weekend-only sailing and freshwater lakes permit sails and gear to last forever. However, I have my eyes set on a new main, tubular battens and eventually a track traveler.

Because of my monohull-upbringing, this boat is full of enigmas (such as a jib with 2 grommets vs. fixed jib blocks). But I am both experimenting and asking, so that the race committee no longer asks me to collect the marks and bring them ashore after I round them.

Current issue: get the rudder blades to be stiff on their casting, and castings to be stiff on the hulls. Any hint?

Cheers!
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Try this post.

viewtopic.php?t=108&highlight=rudder

As for loose rudder/ transom castings about the only thing I can think of, if I understand you correctly is to tighten up the bolts that hold the gudgeons onto the transom. If you look at my post on refurbishing a SC-20 there are pictures of what the inside of the transom probably looks like.

Kevin