New owner to supercat 19

General Sailing Discussion
captinnitro
Novice
Boat Make/Model: supercat

New owner to supercat 19

Post by captinnitro »

I have a few questions about this cat. How do you setup the furling jib? Where do you hook up the jib halyard? I ended up hooking the halyard to the front. However I could not get the jib tight enough. Also when I rolled it up, the jib battens didn’t look right. Finally, is there an easy way to get the cat back on the water after you flip it? My wife and I were stuck in the water after a freakishly strong gust of wind flipped us over. If it wasn’t for boaters nearby that helped us, I don’t know what we would have done.
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Re: New owner to supercat 19

Post by jjd78 »

First off... Welcome aboard!!! So to answer your questions as best I can.... Most SC came with shroud extenders, hayfield levers that when you were flipped and pulled a quick pin on the upper lever would in sense lengthen your shroud so that that the hull would tip so that the upper hull was already slightly over your head.... Now there were 2 different style jibs; one u furled and one you didn't, the one u furled if it had battens were short and positioned at vertically so it would furl flat.... And the other non furling jib also had short battens but were horizontal and would make for a bad furl... And finnally the forstay should go in this order from the mast tang: shackle, small pigtail, shackle,upper furler, shackle, small block, shackle, forestay, chainplate, furler and finnally shackled to bridles.... Now the halyard goes thru that block and one side hooks to the top of the jib and the other side hoists it up all the while your zippering the halyard in the jib... Sorry to be so long winded but I'll try and take pics the next time I rig the boat up
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

BTW. Where r u located????
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Captinnitro,

Take a look at this forum post, it talks about righting an SC20 and using the righting system.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264&p=1103&hilit=RI ... STEM#p1103

Here is an excerpt from that post that I think sums things up quite well :D
Guys,

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind.

When the 20 was first introduced with the Righting System in 1979, Bill Roberts could get the boat back up by himself (33' mast). If any of you have ever met Bill you will know that he isn't a real big guy, probably close to 175 lbs at the time.

Where you tie the rope DOES make a difference. If you don't throw the rope OVER the top of the upper hull, you are loosing close to 15-20% of your leverage when you go to right the boat.

Lift yourself up and get your feet off the hull or daggerboard. If your feet are touching, your loosing leverage. We did a test several years ago where we put a scale on the righting line and I would hang from it. I weighed 175-180 lbs at the time and if I leaned back and left my feet on the hull, the scale would NEVER go over 100 lbs. By having my feet on the hull I was essentially looseing 45% of my righting moment. Combine that loss in righting moment with a loss in leverage by not throwing the rope over the top side of the hull and you probably won't get the boat back up.

If the mast leaks it will get a lot of water in it very quickly. If the mast has water in it, you will have a tough time getting the boat back up. Check the mast, make sure it doesn't leak!

Get the boat facing head to wind before you climb up and undo the righting system lever. Remember that the righting system is not just a function of opening the lever, you also need to remove the upper pin so the shroud can extend out to the end of the jumper wire.

I have been over on both the ARC-21 & ARC-22 several times. In either case we did not have too much trouble getting the boat back up. Usually one person rigged the righting line while the other climbed up and undid the righting system. The guy who rigged the righting line usually leaned out and got his weight off the hull. If that wasn't enough weight to bring the boat back up, the other guy leaned out against him (feet still on hull) and that was enough to bring the boat back up.

http://www.aquarius-sail.com
captinnitro
Novice
Boat Make/Model: supercat

Post by captinnitro »

Thank you guys. JJD78 I live in chicago however I was in a small lake in michian when I fliped the cat over.thank god I had my wife to soften the fall :lol: Next weekend I am takeing it out on lake michigan. I think I have a non furling jib. My sails need help anyway, next year I'll get new ones. I was thinking of going to north sails. They are only a few miles from my home.
Matt Thanks for the lynk. Next weekend I will practice get the boat back up.