SC20 Dolphin Striker

Technical discussion of ARC products
WindyB
Novice

SC20 Dolphin Striker

Post by WindyB »

I'm on my second DS cable on my SC20 (1981) getting about 2"+ movement when loaded up.
Would it be possible to use a solid threaded rod instead of the cable or has there been another solution to upgreade the Dolphin Striker cable ?

Also, what about replacing the Aluminum sleave and DS tube with a Stainless Steel set. I've lost count of how many DS sets I've been through over the past 28 years. I think some of it has to do with the boat being stored on a ramp on an angle (have no choice )

What is the original lenght of the SC20 DS cable?

Having been having a Hell of a time with my DS sticking and feel that The Duralube I'm using may be the problem. You mentioned Slick 50, years ago but it's not available in Canada. We do have the McLube products but not sure if they are for aluminum/aluminum lubricating.

Thanks
George in Toronto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested in ARC 22 comments
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: SC20 Dolphin Striker

Post by Matt Haberman »

George,

It sounds like your cable may need to be adjusted. If you call our office they can give you the details on how to properly adjust the cable.

I would avoid a SS dolphin striker post, the original SC 20's used the SS post, but this was quickly changed to aluminum when the saltwater corrosion seized the SS post in the sleeve and the sleeve corroded the already large hole in the center of the beam into an even larger one.

On the ARC-22 we use a similar setup to the dolphin striker on your boat, but in place of a cable we use a flat SS strap. We lubricate the aluminum post & sleeve with a high quality marine grade wheel bearing grease and this seems to hold up quite well. We recommend re-lubricating the post at least twice a season.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com