Solo righting a SC17

Technical discussion of ARC products
JoseFlies
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Solo righting a SC17

Post by JoseFlies »

Hello gang,

New member here. I've had my 82 SC17 for 2 years now.

The first year was spent breathing life back into her. I had a slight amount of fiberglass repair, complete cordage replacement and some sail repair to deal with. The second year was spent cautiously learning how to treat her gently because I've consistently had a very difficult time righting her.

I weigh 205 lbs and I can't get her back up in a no/light wind condition. I have read every post in the forum regarding this issue and I've reread the owner’s manual 100 times. I believe my technique is correct as amplified in Matt's previous post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264&hilit=shroud+extender

First question; (This one is for you Matt) how long should the shroud extend once the extender is released and the second pin is pulled to fully lengthen the shroud? In essence, my question is, how long should my jumper wire be? If my jumper wire is the correct length, can you think of any other rigging issues that will adversely affect my ability to right my cat?

Second question; what techniques/tips do you experienced cat sailors have for keeping the boat under control while attempting to reconnect the pin on the extended shroud in high wind conditions? I have trouble keeping the boat pointed into the wind while hanging on the trap wire and reconnecting the extender pin. I'm skittish about placing the disconnected shroud on the leeward side while I'm hanging on the trap wire. While doing so will relieve the tension on the opened shroud line, I'm fearful of flipping her over and placing the open shroud on the bottom side. I've read the posts on that issue.

Thanks in advance for your insight. I've been very pleased with the education I've received from reading all of your posts.
Paul Jimenez
Novice, 82 SC17
Loveland, CO
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Re: Solo righting a SC17

Post by jbshu24 »

Usually a couple things to check:
are your sails uncleated? water on the sails will not help
is the righting line over the top hull and are you leaning back almost horizontal with the water?
is the mast 45 degrees into the wind? a little extra air under the sails can help.
any water in your mast?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

jbshu24 Good suggestions.

A couple of other things to consider:
1) You talk about no wind. Not only does wind help you tip over it also helps get you back upright by getting under the sails and "lifting the mast" as your leaning out. Righting a boat on a no wind day can be extremely difficult.

2) Make sure you have approx 2' between the upper & lower main sheet blocks and the traveler is fully released. Otherwise you will be trying to pickup a sail full of water. Also make sure you don't have too much main sheet played out or that can cause problems when you get back upright with the righting system extended.

3) As was previously suggested, make sure the righting line goes over the top of the hull and that your hanging from it. If you can get your feet off the hull you will be more successful then if your feet are touching the hull, even if you are leaning back at 45 degrees.

4) When upright, If you slowly bring the boat head to wind and hold the tiller there, it should not tack. Once head to wind you could hold the tiller under your leg as you reconnect the righting system wire.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
JoseFlies
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by JoseFlies »

Thanks jbshu24 and Matt,

However, I have no problem righting in higher winds. I just can't consistently get them here in Colorado. Sometimes its just a light wind day, or at least inconsistent winds.

Matt each of the items you mentioned above, #2 through #3 are also addressed in the owner's manual and I've complied with those instructions. The mast is air tight...I've tested that.

I know the rigging is not original. I suspect the jumper wire(s) is to short; thus not allowing me to take full advantage of the weight of the out-of-water hull. What do the specs say for the prescribed length of the jumper wire(s) for an 82 SC17?

Thanks gents,
Paul Jimenez
Novice, 82 SC17
Loveland, CO
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Hi Paul,
a friend and I who both weigh around 170, practiced righting the SC17. We didn't try the shroud extender, but it did really take both of us leaning almost horizontal to the water to begin getting the mast up. It came up slowww, and that was in 10-15 knot winds with the mast pointing straight into the wind. Boat didn't come around quickly, i'm guessing because of the mesh trampoline. My Hobie16 would always spin around faster. I imagine righting should be a little easier with the shroud extender, but it would be worth trying a water bag over your shoulder. That extra 20-30 lbs. can really make a difference.

Jon
BugTussel
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: 82 Supercat 17

Post by BugTussel »

i have an 82 sc17 with a sc19 main and no jib. i have not had an issue righting it but I'm 250. i throw a rope over the upper hull at the front beam and lean out. i have multiple loops in my righting line so as the boat comes up i can climb to keep my body out of the water. also i have yet to use the shroud extenders for righting. try on of those water bags to increase your weight.

GL
bugtussel
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

When you say "mast pointing into the wind" do you mean the tip or the face? Ideally you want the mast at 90 degrees to the wind or bows pointed into the wind. When I capsize I go sit on the tip of the bow the weathervane the boat to the 90 degree position and then get on the line.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

I always learned to have the tip of the mast pointing 45 degrees into the wind. That way the wind will get under the sail as well as help push the sail up when the mast starts coming up. Mast tip straight into the wind also works.

I usually just stand on the hull until the wind blows the tramp around, but with these mesh tramps sometimes that takes a while.