83 Whaler SuperCat re-birth

General Sailing Discussion
Bean
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: SC17 - 1983

83 Whaler SuperCat re-birth

Post by Bean »

Just thought I would share the moment and show a picture of my re-do. I redid the transoms, repainted with emron 2 part epoxy with 2 part primer then added diamond cut EVA hydrafoam to the caps. New rigging and a squaretop Pentex sail will be ready Friday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hislifetolive
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 17

Re: 83 Whaler SuperCat re-birth

Post by hislifetolive »

Hi Bean,

Nice work! She looks really nice. I've just purchased an '83 model and am getting ready to go through a similar evolution with a port gudgeon repair that will probably be pretty involved. It looks like the boat was "halted" by the rudder at some point. But I'll still get some sailing in this summer and fall before I dismantle the boat for a winter refit.

All the best!

Scott
Bean
Devloping

Post by Bean »

If you need any pictures or information feel free to email me. It was a real easy job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

On my 20 when I did this repair I found that there was a seam between the 2 hull halves right on the top of the hull. I decided I didn't want to cut through that piece so I just cut 2 pieces, one on each side of the seam. I did this repair pre-digital camera so I don't have any pics, but if when you're cutting that piece out you feel some resistance you might want to stop and think about it. :)
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

No real problem cutting across that seam as long as your repair and replacement of the deck piece is solid.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Bean
Devloping

Post by Bean »

Finally let my Hobie Tiger sit for a day and took the SuperCat 17 out for her maiden sail after the refit. She sailed great. Really nice manners and the square top got her to fly a hull with 3 on board and 10 mph winds with some puffs. Nice boat.
Bean
Devloping

Post by Bean »

here's another pic. I flipped her to see how difficult it was to right plus my 13 year old son wanted to so... I did bend the boom a bit but she rights prety easy with 2 of us.
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Beautiful! Where did you get the EVA Hydrofoam?
Bean
Devloping

Post by Bean »

I think it is called Hydroturf.com All kinds of variety of paterns and colors. Order it with the 3M adhesive. Works great! Does well in use also.
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

thanks for the tip. Looks like one 40x62" sheet should work? maybe two.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Can you guys find a home for my 21? I'll probably never sail it again. Torn bicep, can't lift 15 lbs.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15