trampoline

General Sailing Discussion
sailingkyle85
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

trampoline

Post by sailingkyle85 »

i got a supercat 15 last year and it desperately needs a new tramp. it's the original from '82 and i got the last few threads that were left to give way, and had fun doing so! anyway, i've been looking at the tramps that slo sail have. does anyone have any feedback about them or have suggestions on any other ones? i would like to stick to a blue one.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Re: trampoline

Post by Kevin Keller »

Did you check with Aquarius? They have some real nice tramps that are well made.
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

Dan Berger has a slo sail's tramp on his 15... i sailed on it the first time after he put it on and it started pulling out of the track... he had someone sew on a thin piece of material around the bolt rope and has held together ever since... over all i think he's happy with it... I have an original SC tramp on my SC15 right now and i'm gonna have it restiched soon just to make sure it holds up for as long as it can... a few years back i bought a tramp for my then SC17 from the hobie mill guy on ebay... it was nice but i had the worst time sliding it into the tracks...mostly cause i don't think he sewed it close enough to the rope and it kept bunching up.... i'd hate to be the guy who tries to remove it... but by far my favorite tramp was on my old SC19 and it came from "sunrise" go here for the SC15 tramp http://www.multihullnets.com/OrderPrice ... B&x=41&y=9
sailingkyle85
Novice

Post by sailingkyle85 »

i've called aquarius but all they offer is black, i would rather blue to stay with the original colors.

i think i've come across that website before but didn't look very far apparently. how is the polypropylene? i know the original material is some pretty good stuff to last all these years, me being the third owner and still got a few times out on it! it also need a little fiberglass work, nothing major though.

i've never sailed in my life and got this boat from my uncle who got it from his brother (my other uncle), caught on very quickly and fell in love! i cant wait for the weather to warm up again. see, i'm a wuss and can't handle the cold very well.
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

i got the PTFE Thread on mine and it still looked great after 5 years of use... for 55.00 more and a 3 yr longer warrenty its a no-brainer.....
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

if you're looking for a cheap fix, i've got an old blue original tramp that wrapped around and front beam, and maybe also the rear. Just had it restitched before upgrading to the black mesh. There are some blue tramps on ebay, but the aquarius tramps are really nice.
sailingkyle85
Novice

Post by sailingkyle85 »

thanks for the offer but i think i'm going to go with slo sail tramp, blue with tenara thread. i can't seem to make myself get black, it's too plain, unless i had plain sails.
Tom Peterson
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Post by Tom Peterson »

I would recommend a tramp from Aquarius for two reasons. One is that two years ago, I had a tramp that finally died and I got a new mesh tramp from Aquarius. It fit perfectly, didn't require any fixes or adjustments from me, and has held up well. The second reason I would recommend an Aquarius tramp is that if we don't buy as many parts as we can from these good folks, they will eventually go away and we will then really miss their expertise and their ability to provide parts that we CAN'T get somewhere else.
Hobie 14, Hobie 16, saw the light, and am now Supercat 17
sailingkyle85
Novice

Post by sailingkyle85 »

thats a great point! however you just made my decision making harder! :(
i'm just stuck on the blue because thats what's on it now and would like to keep it that way.
but i would agree that aquarius would be best at it since it's their boat anyway!
the material appears to be pretty good stuff, it's almost thirty years old and it's only got two tears in it and have hardly traveled with weight on it.
thanks for your view!
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

The new tramp material is really nice and they do great work. You would probably end up liking black better anyway.
sailingkyle85
Novice

Post by sailingkyle85 »

well, i ended up getting the aquarius tramp. i got it in a while back and it looks great! i do like it better than the other stuff, well worth the money! however, i have to make some repairs to the hulls, the keels are splitting toward the front just enough to make it leak where it has been beached, and on the starboard transom there is a nice crack on the edge and feels week around it. i was going to run and piece of 3in wide fiberglass along the keels at the seem to keep it from spreading. then cut into the transom and add a layer or two inside to reenforce and a layer outside on the crack to seal it. does this sound like the right thing to do? i would like a little input before i carry on.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kyle,

It sounds like you are on the right track for the hull repairs. Here a few more suggestions.

- Use some "thickened" epoxy and a putty knife to try and force it into the cracks on the keel.
- Rember to remove the gelcoat and paint from the keel area that is being repaired.
- Use fiberglass that is cut @ 45 degrees so the fibers X-Cross the the keel @ 45 degree angles.

-On the transom, cut your access in the deck in the non-skid.
-When you cut the access hole, cut it at an angle like you do the top of a pumpkin, that way it will make it easier when you glue it back in.
- Don't use a screw in port for repair access, these tend to always leak.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
sailingkyle85
Novice

Post by sailingkyle85 »

ok, well, i already cut the hole in the transom, the other hull had one of these hatches so i figured it would be ok. i can fill the hole back in instead of a hatch.

as far as cutting into the non-skid, do you mean just the deck above the transom, not the actual non-skid surface?

the keels are sanded to the fiberglass and ready for a new layer. what is the reasoning for laying the weave at a 45?

the cracks in the keels are very small, you almost cant visually see them, the way i knew is after sailing it was on the trailer at a forward slant and it was dripping right at the seam. i will try to get something in there though.

i guess i could have started a new thread for all this...... thank you for all your help!
cant wait to get back on the water! although it's already reaching 100 degrees here!
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kyle,

I am talking about on the deck, in the non-skid.

The reasoning for the 45 degrees is that you end up with ALL of the fibers crossing the seam and doing some work, versus only 50% of the fiber crossing the seam.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
sailingkyle85
Novice

Post by sailingkyle85 »

matt,

the only problem with cutting into my non-skid is that it's in front of the rear beam and my arm wont be long enough to get to the crack to set the fiberglass, also there is a wall inside under the beam filled with foam. so i would have to cut behind the rear beam where there is not any non-skid.

laying the glass at a 45 makes sense.

on the thought of the hatches, should i remove the one that was previously there and cover it as well? is that a factory hatch or could that have been added after?