Supercat 15 Refurb

General Sailing Discussion
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Re: Supercat 15 Refurb

Post by DanBerger »

I'm a little bipolar when it comes to boats. One day, I want a big one, the next, a single hander. I had been working my way up to a 20 and Bill put his up for sale, so I jumped on it. Turns out is was too difficult for my situation. It had solid beams, so you had to take it apart to transport it--then it was like 475 pounds, so it was a mother to move around. Nice boat, fast and fun, but too much. I then wanted to go the single hand route and my Hobie 14 just wasn't cutting it. I thought the 15 would be the perfect mix because of the huge hulls and ease of single handing. So far, so good. My only complaint is that it is hard to move around because there isn't anything to grab on to like the 14. If that is my only complaint, I'm doing pretty well.

I'm rigging a spinnaker now, so it should be a little more of a handfull.

Maybe you should look forward to y our son bringing his girlfriends and her friends on your boat?
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Post by whalerman »

Thanks Dan.

So you changed your mind on the hooter then and you are going with a spin? I put loops of rope around the beams at the corners of the tramps for handholds. If you use good rope you can suspend the cat on them if necessary.

Will you have to reinforce the beam to put on the spin?
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

I had the Hooter set up on the boat, but the foot hit the bridles and it just didn't work. The pole is so low that I couldn't get clearance. I've been wanting to try a spin, anyway.

I don't think I'll have to reinforce the beams. Hadn't occurred to me!? I'm more worried about the mast, but SC masts are so beefy, I'm pretty sure I'll be OK. It isn't a big sail, anyway.

I may have to put off the spin thing for now. I am working on my A cat and the spin money may have to go to that..
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Post by whalerman »

My lake is still mostly ice covered and the forecast calls for 6" of snow tonight. I should have a boat down in Florida..