SC15 Battens

Technical discussion of ARC products
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

SC15 Battens

Post by SC15Av8or »

Matt and or Tom....

I have recently recieved a set of all white SC15 sails (main and jib). The jib is a nonfurling typy due to the way the battens are laid. The main sail was missing all but the number 1 batten. Which is a "black magic" carbon fiber foam batten. My other main sail a Fresco came with yellow Hobie type battens already in it. I have enough of those type battens to make another set for the newer sail. What I do not know is A) what would be the cost of an already made set of the tubular battens you sell for this. B) What is the correct lenght of all the battens for the SC15 main sail. Where would I find the tapper information for these to properly shape the sail and get the most power out of it?
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: SC15 Battens

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hello,

The black magic battens are not carbon, just black glass and foam. These battens were used in the mid to late 1980's along with the flat fiberglass ones. The tubular tapered battens which were originally developed for the SC-20 in the 1970's are the only batten that we supply today. The tubular battens have the proper taper built into them and are extremely light compared to the other foam core and solid battens on the market.

Batten lengths can vary from one sail to the next so I would suggest that you measure the length of each batten pocket so you get the correct length. The easiest way to measure the batten pocket is from the front of the plastic cap (right behind the luff rope) to the edge of the sail at the leech.

If your interested in battens please call Tom @ 651-462-SAIL and he can get you a quote.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

I used the fiberglass/foam battens that are white glass with black dense foam and I am very happy with them. They are less than half the weight of the Hobie ones and give you a great shape.

I can get a BUNCH of them if you haven't found battens, yet.

It's a good thing you got white sails--now we don't all match!
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Dan....

Great thanks for letting me know..... Yeah I thought of that as well. I would not want any one to confuse us going around the cans. I have not gotten any but am interested in what you can get. How stiff are they ???
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Tom got the new ones and I will tell you now ther is another order going to be coming your way soooooon !!!! Wow any one who is not sailing these is really missing out !!! I'll get you some pictures next year !
SuperCat 15/19Av8or