$250 and a long drive

General Sailing Discussion
Paul13jg
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

$250 and a long drive

Post by Paul13jg »

Or is that a long drive and $250 and gas money and future missing parts funding. 8-)
Couldn't help but put it on here since I will be back on the water flying hulls soon.
This will a winter project.
Looking for ward to ordering missing stuff and making changes. I was thinking that ...I used to play with tinkertoys growing up..(legos weren't popular yet). So if you get the right parts and can put it together you can do something fun?!?!

I didn't abuse this one! The beams are rough..used in salt water. Hey Matt how many of the Supercat 20s were made??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Re: $250 and a long drive

Post by Kevin Keller »

I've got some parts. PM me what you need.

Kevin
Paul13jg
Novice

Post by Paul13jg »

Hey Kevin,
enjoyed reading your posts on your SC20 restoration. I need to wait for a few months as I am taking some time off and need to save for future upgrades.... besides figuring out what I will end up doing. It sounds like going with one piece crossbeams are in order. I assume because my beams are fairly rough and I suppose the shims (delrin) are not made anymore that's what I should do. Kevin could you send me a photo of the new style dolphin striker as that seems to be an integral part of the front beam for obvious reasons(12' wow).

I know one of the holes in the crossbeam is for the dolphin striker are the other two from corrosion? The area where the cable goes into the pipe shows signs of corrosion too. Both sets seem to have corrosion holes. Maybe something was mounted there and over time it took its toll. Not sure what they originally look like.

And in the second picture... 2 tubes were included. They are 1 1/4" diameter. 8' long and 6' 3" long. The shorter one has a nylon type ring with 2 set screws on it(allen). They couldn't connect together without a larger diameter tube. Not sure what a spinnaker set up looks like but are these parts to set up an auxillary sail??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

The two holes are for the beam bolts for when you have the beams extended. I have some of those left over. I even have a sail I could sell you in much better shape than yours.

Here is a picture from Tom's factory. The ends of the straps are bolted to the beams just inboard of the hulls.
Last edited by Kevin Keller on August 5th, 2011, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhiannon
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC-20

Post by Rhiannon »

Kevin
If you have a main for a 33' rig you would like to sell I am interested.
Thanks
John
Paul13jg
Novice

Post by Paul13jg »

Kevin,
So that's what the one peice beam looks like. I had to stare at it for a bit. The curved track is for the self tacking jib!
My sail is in excellent shape other than having been folded for some time. I hope that hasn't ruined it. Should I get battens in it now and roll it up? I was thinking of having a larger jib than the standard size cut... out of one of the Erickson sails given to me. I am hoping to take some of my developmentally disabled clients out once its running and just use the jib. I remember the first time I took out my 19 with just the jib and was quite happy I bought the cat. It was definitley the most fun thing I have ever bought.

Matt and Tom. I was sent some literature with a picture of 3 of you from the 80's when you bought the company. Matt you looked quite young. Will I get kicked off the site if I post it?

This guy sent me a one inch thick envelope of brochures/literature. My old 19 #553 was in one of the photos. Apparently someone name Scott Burkhartd from Oregon owned it in the 80's as well as someone who sailed in in Lake Michigan.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

So how goes it with this project ??? Was it a long drive worth the $250?
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or