Speed...want more speed

Technical discussion of ARC products
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Speed...want more speed

Post by SC15Av8or »

Tom and or Matt....

Ok I have had the 15 out now several times 2 up and only a handful of times one up. I got two questions for you two.

1. What kind of speeds should I be seeing on the GPS both 1 and 2 up in about 12-20. I know wieght and skippering has a lot to do with this but I was just looking for an idea to see where this boat is at.

2. What can I do or at least start to look at and consider doing to make this a faster boat. I need to gun down a few H16's in the area.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Speed...want more speed

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hi There,

I don't have any hard speed data on the SC15 so I probably cannot help you that much. How ever I do know that it has been proven time and time again to be faster then the H16.

Without sailing with you it is hard to give you any pointers, but one thing we see time and time again is where people are sitting on the boat. Keep your weight forward and drive the leeward bow down. The boat should be run with the transoms out of the water and the leeward bow about 1/2 way between the waterline stripe and the deck. Crew will usually be sitting right behind the front beam and the skipper should be sitting right next to the sidestay or even right next to the main cross beam in light winds.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Matt...

Thanks for the reply. I have heard the same as well. I might be at a weight disadvantage too. I sail alot 2 up and at about 235 total for the both of us. I do know exactly where you are referring to as the "sweet spot" when you get that bow down. Getting the transoms out of the water is the trick. Ok well I will keep working on my skill set and sailing her more. I have recently sailed a SC19. 3 up and she was a screaming. We clocked 20.1 mph on the "shake down" sail. I would love to see 20 out of my SC15 but will keep you posted.

Robert
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Folks....I figured out how to get more speed.....Get a SC19.... I did just that and LOOOVE IIITT !!!! :D My SC15 missed almost the entire season as we ripped it up on a 19 with 2 up. WOOOO Hoooo !!!!
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Well.....
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

Seriously. You have compensation issues. The 15 isn't about length--it's all about girth. :mrgreen:

I consistently beat Hobie 16s with my SC15--Not REALLY, really good A fleeters more like good, experienced racers (but I am always at the front of the pack with them all.) I have a self-tacking jib that really helps upwind, but it seems to hurt me down wind, especially in the light stuff. I'm running a 5 degree mast rake. I have Harken low profile 3" 6:1 mainsheet blocks that are almost block-to-block when sheeted tight.

I'm 160 lbs, so your results may vary.

My sweet spot is in front of the shrouds or straddling them. In big wind, I'm right behind the shrouds. I only sail solo, so I would have your crew sitting somewhere near the shroud. I found that in the lighter stuff, I am almost at the front beam, almost squatting down, bow buried and CARVING upwind. I have always been able to out point Hobies.

I found that getting curve in the main is HUGE downwind. I let the traveler out a little past the foot straps and I don't sheet the main very tight. Lots of curve on a really roachy main. If I could adjust the leech tension on the jib, I would let it out a little to get more curve on it, too, but it seems to open up pretty well. I'm going to install a means to adjust it on the fly this winter.

I'm pretty much fearless on my 15 now because I just don't consider a pitch pole happening. That is, until I get the spinnaker.

Another thing, it doesn't FEEL as fast on a Supercat because it doesn't feel like the boat is going to implode when going at mach speed. That doesn't mean you aren't hauling ass. To me, it feels like you are on the brink of disaster at any moment on a Hobie! But, hey, I'm biased.

Just my $.02
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Well all this sounds fine and dandy. I got a few ideas as well and will be putting them to use next year. The SC19 is preping to go down for a bottom job this winter and I will attempt to repair all that was mis-repaired. She has a new mylar/pentax sail and we are looking for a jib to match it. The SC15 has also got a few new trick up her bridals. Its going to boil down to skippering next year !!! Many thank to all those here and the Habermans'. The East Coast Fleet is growing !!!
SuperCat 15/19Av8or