Batten Length SC 17

Technical discussion of ARC products
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Batten Length SC 17

Post by whalerman »

I'm getting the 17 ready to sail using some tubular battens that came out of a 17 and a 15 as I was missing a few from the 17 set. How far should the battens stick out of the pocket? I have enough of them to make a set for the 17, but some of them have broken ends the tip is gone, or the fastening end is broken. Do you sell new tips and ends?

Thanks
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Batten Length SC 17

Post by Matt Haberman »

Whaler,

Typically the battens will stick out of the mainsail ~2", leaving enough so you can tension & tie them off. We do not sell the flat paddle tips anymore, instead we have a shrink cap that goes over them to protect the sail. We also no longer use the adjustable tensioner on the leech end of the batten, but we do have a tip that goes on there with a hole in it so you can thread the batten tie through it and tension the batten.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Post by whalerman »

Thanks,

I guess the battens that stick out 6 inches are probably from a different boat. As I have only owned 17's and now this 15 I wonder where they came from?

:)
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Before you start cutting, you may want to test each batten to see where they bend in order to be able to shape the sail effectively.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15