Ladder

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Ladder

Post by Mac M »

Now that the repairs are done it's on to the sailing questions!!

I was reading through some old posts and came across one in which Kevin mentioned 'climbing the ladder' to release the shroud extender. Is there some sort of ladder that was offered on the 20's? If so are they still available? I was wondering how I would get up top to release the shrouds when I eventually turn this thing over, which almost happened yesterday.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Ladder

Post by Matt Haberman »

Mac,

At one time there were some rope loops on the bottom of the tramp that formed a ladder. Don't recall when exactly they quit doing that, but probably the easiest way to do it without a front tramp is to climb the tramp lacing on the underside right by the front beam, when you get to the level of the mast you can step around and onto the mast, from there you should be able to reach the lever. One thing to watch is that when your standing on the mast it tends to want rotate & so it is sail track up, you really want it to be rotated with sail track down when the shroud is released.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Matt,

That brings up a good point. How do you climb it with the forward tramp then?

Also can you explain why you want the mast rotated so the track is pointed down?

Thanks,

Kevin
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kevin,

The front tramp can be a challenge :D

I have done it a few different ways, either climbing up the tramp lacing on the bottom and they climbing over the top edge of the front tramp, or climbing up the top side by using the hiking straps and whatever else I can grab. Regardless of which way you go it is not exactly easy.

The reason you want the mast track pointing down is the same reason you want it pointing straight back when you raise or lower the mast. When the upper shroud is extended the mast tilts and if the track is not aligned with the dolphin striker post you can risk breaking the post or damaging the mast base. :(
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com