Jib battens

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Jib battens

Post by Mac M »

Am I missing something on my jib battens? I can't tension them at all. Thought I might be missing the end caps like the ones on the main? My jib has terrible shape to it, trying to correct it.

Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Jib battens

Post by Matt Haberman »

Mac,

Check out this post with photos: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=520&p=1867&hilit=battens#p1867

The photos are of a mainsail but you can do the same thing on the jib. The caps are nice but you can do the same thing with a hole in the end of the batten. You don't want the battens to stick out too far or they could catch on the diamond wires on the mast. Jib sail shape is a tricky thing. I will say that the self-tacking jibs are pretty flat compared to a traditional jib.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Mine is self tacking and is really flat. When I sheet it my set up seems to pull straight down on it. It looks pretty close to the set up Kevin got though you guys. I'm hoping to get him to send me some more pictures of his.

Mine under sail. I've got to figure out a downhauled for it so it doesn't sag while sailing. Should I have the luff attached to the pole between spin pole and bridals?

Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Mac,

I would agree that you have some issues with the bottom part of the jib, although I am not really sure how flat your sail is as the bottom batten looks pretty deep to me, but that could be a camera illusion. The luff of the jib should be tied to the pelican striker as it appears that you have already done.

How much jib luff tension do you have? With the boat sitting on the beach head to wind, the mainsail up and NO mainsheet blocks attached, the luff tension on the jib should be ALMOST enough to make the forestay go slack. If you tension the luff until you see the forestay go slack up above the jib and then back it off so that slack just disappears you should be pretty good with the luff tension.

The only other thing I can think of is related to the position of where the pelican striker attaches to the spinnaker pole. If this is too far back you could get some funny looking shape in the bottom of your jib. Looking at the boat from the side the pelican striker should be perfectly aligned at the same angle as the bridle wires or if anything the bottom of the pelican striker should be slightly (less then 1") ahead of the bridle wires.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

I think the jib downhaul/lack of tension may be my problem. I talked to Tom this afternoon while ordering some parts and he is going to send me a diagram of your downhaul set up on the 22.