attaching a mast step SC15

Technical discussion of ARC products
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

attaching a mast step SC15

Post by gahamby »

What is the preferred method for attaching a new mast step on an SC 15? Drill and tap, what size fasteners? Bedding compound, what type? The cross beam and inner sleeve have been re welded so there are no holes at present.
What are the specs for the safety pin? Thanks GH
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Re: attaching a mast step SC15

Post by whalerman »

Wow, interesting question.

Hang on, I'll go check....I'm back. The step appears to be held on by stainless sheet metal screws with large diameter heads on the two beams I just checked. These beams are probably 30 years old and come from a 15 and a 17. There is no evidence of a bedding compound. That being said, if I were doing the job today I would use 1/4 in stainless screws with large heads and appropriately sized nylock nuts. I think the name of the screw head is wafer head or button head, I know it is wider than a pan head, but I cant remember the exact name. If you want to go the screw & nut route tape a breaker bar to a long stick to hold the nut on the inside. I'm sure appropriate sheet metal screws can be found at a Fastenall store if you choose to go that way.

I bought a couple of safety pins from Aquarius. The fit was great and the holes were pre-drilled. They were cheap.

Aquarius is a great place to buy all your SC parts. They really know the boats and are willing to spend time explaining things when necessary.

Here are a few more things I would get. Spare drain plugs. Rudder rebuild parts. Main halyard & ring, look over all your standing rigging too. Good luck.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: attaching a mast step SC15

Post by Matt Haberman »

The pedestals were originally installed used #12 Truss Head Sheet Metal screws, but around 1985 we switched to tapping the beam and using #10-24 Truss Head Machine Screws. We found that the sheet metal screws usually stripped out after one replacement where as the threads in the machine screws usually held up much longer.

We never used a bedding compound between the base and the beam, but we did use 3M 5200 caulk on the screw threads to help prevent corrosion between the screws and the beam.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com