Continuous Loop Spinnaker Halyard/Retrieval

Technical discussion of ARC products
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Continuous Loop Spinnaker Halyard/Retrieval

Post by fjviola »

Being quite novice at flying a Spinnaker, I gathered information from Nacra and Hobie buddies as well as our own attempts at deploying the big Kite (quite successful) and then retrieving it (dismal at best). My ARC 21 is set up with a snuffer bag on a sturdy ARC Spinnaker Pole that would clearly out joust any of the afore mentioned catamarans. After a dozen sessions trying to manage three separate lines (halyard, tack & retrieval), I determined a "Continuous Loop" Halyard/Retrieval line (similar to Nacra design) would be easier to manage.

Photo 1: I added an ARC "Bale" to mast, and dyneema pigtail from the Spinnaker Hound to the Halyard Swivel Block.
Bale 5989.jpg
Photo 2: Red Halyard comes down mast, through a Spinlock and turns at Block on the forward crossbar. Green line is Tack (needs to be cut to final length).
Halyard Loop 6128.jpg
Photo 3: Red Halyard travels aft on top of trampoline to Block on small bungee (through spur-grommet I installed) and then turns back forward 'becoming' the Red Retrieval line.
Halyard Loop 6129.jpg
*note - This is the way 'Loop' appears when Kite is up. Additional line (approximately 4 feet) is on trampoline when Kite is secure in Snuffer Bag. This extra line is due to amount needed not to pinch Kite shape when deployed. Also, I removed Harken pivoting-exit block from mast and replaced it with standard cleat (secured to exit block 'pin' so it swivels) as a safety backup to the Spinlock when using the Red Halyard with the gin-pole to step the mast.

Photo 4: Red Retrieval line passes beneath trampoline (through spur-grommet I installed) to Snuffer Bag
Halyard Loop 6131.jpg
Photo 5: Red Retrieval line passes through dyneema Pigtail from Clew to SS Ring so initial retrieving brings the Sheets into the Snuffer Bag so they do not drag in the water.
Pigtail Retriever 6136.jpg
Photo 6: Spinnaker and Sheets in Snuffer Bag
Snuffer & Lines 6135.jpg
We are finding the Key to successful Kite retrieval is the procedure "order"
1. "STAND UP" (best leverage) and Pull slack out of Red Retrieval Line
2. Release Halyard
3. Pull in Retrieval Line as FAST as possible while Standing Up
4. Release Tack Line to allow final portion of spinnaker to enter Snuffer Bag

I am still fine-tuning the "Loop" (deleted 5 ft of Halyard just yesterday) so there is enough slack as not to 'pinch' the Kite shape when deployed, but also not have too much slack Halyard when dumping the Kite ... yes, we have run over the Kite with hulls ARC 21 hulls more than once.

Any additional advice is always welcome.
Thanks
franklin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Re: Continuous Loop Spinnaker Halyard/Retrieval

Post by fjviola »

Clocked at 15.7 knots in the sheltered water of Texas City Dike with 10 knot wind :D
2012 Dec 1 TCD morris 0016Cs5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.