SC17 solo mast stepping

Technical discussion of ARC products
bhull
Novice
Boat Make/Model: supercat 17

SC17 solo mast stepping

Post by bhull »

Does anyone have recommendations for solo stepping the SC17 mast?

I am trying to recreate the ez step rig method, but not sure when it attach the trap wires

Any suggestions would be helpful, I'd much rather be sailing

Thanks!
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Re: SC17 solo mast stepping

Post by gahamby »

This is for informational purposes only. You raise and lower your mast at your own risk.
That being out of the way. This is how I do it.

On my 15 I hook the front tie down straps through the thimbles on the trap wires and tighten just a bit. I have a telescoping mast support on the trailer with a roller at the top. It get's the purchase point about 10'-0' off the trailer tongue. I put the winch strap over the roller and extend the support with enough strap hanging so the hook stays within reach. I run a long rope bridle up the mast on the main halyard and bring the two ends around to the bow outside of everything. I tie the ends of the bridle into the winch strap hook and crank her up. I have a rear mast support that holds the mast about 3'-0" above the rear crossbeam. With the shroud levers open I can crank the mast up and attach the for stay bridle to the bows and then let her off, close the shroud leavers, and slack the trap wires.
Remember to keep the rear tie down straps attached and tight or the boat could go ass over tea kettle right on top of you.
When lowering, mast rotation is an issue. Right now I turn the bitter end of the halyard around the mast above the base a couple of times and hold on to the ends so I can keep it straight. I think a pad eye on the front of the mast with straps going port and starboard to the front crossbar ends would be better.
I know it sounds complex, but I can raise the mast solo in a crowded boat ramp parking lot in a controlled fashion.
Good luck, be careful! GH
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

gahamby.....

I would really like to see a picture of your system if you do not mind posting one. With the help of havlii on here I was able to make a gin-pole system fro my SC15 but that requires me trailering the boat backwards. Due to my trailer box location on my SC19 trailer I am unable to do the same with my SC19 and would like to find another system to step my SC19 mast solo. Also to keep the boat facing forward on the trailer.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Post by whalerman »

If I need to raise the mast on my own I use the ginpole that AI purchased from Aquarius along with a block attached to the forestay and a locking jib block hooked to the trailer. It is a little scary, but works every time. There is a video on the website showing a single handed raising of the mast on a 22 using this setup.
T Peterson
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Post by T Peterson »

Ditto on the disclaimer about doing this at your own risk.

I get my boat on the beach, mast-less, and find a way to get it pointed downhill - the bows lower than the stern. I hook up the shrouds and loosen the two side levers. Make sure the shrouds will not catch on the rear crossbars or rudder arms when you raise the mast. If there is anything around to put the top of the mast on- garbage can, step ladder, that helps just to get it off the ground. I assume you mean solo as in there is no one else around. Go to the stern and lift the mast to your shoulder; then get it over your head with your arms straight up. Walk it to the front of the boat and since you have the boat pointed downhill, it will go "over center" and lean forward. Watch the wind and make sure it won't blow your mast back over after you let go. You can then hop off the boat and fasten the forestay. I fasten the trap wires last but doing them first seems OK, too.

Other advice and notes:

When I do this, if there are others around or watching, I specifically tell them to stay back and not to try and help. If you did have a buddy, that person could get the mast overhead so your initial lift is easier. I've done that but I also tell the person that after I have the mast, they need to move away. I've never dropped the mast and if I ever do I don't want it falling on someone.

Now that I am 61 I find I have to focus on my technique instead of just muscling it up. Making sure you are at the stern for the initial lift is important. Getting it back down is the reverse but that always seems easier!
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hey Guys,
Your source of information is always the FACTORY! Raising and lowering the mast is the same on a SC15 as it is on a SC17 as it is on a SC19 as it is on a SC20 as it is on an ARC22 as it is on a RC27 and as it is on an RC30. The system will also work on Hobies, Nacras, Prindles, etc. The system is simple and easy and safe and what else do you want it to do?
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Post by whalerman »

This past weekend I setup the SC 15 that I just sold with the new owner. We did not have the rudders on the hull at the time. The lack of rudders, tiller arms, etc made raising the mast a snap. In the future I will put the mast up first, then attach the rudders.

If I combine leaving off the rudders with the Aquarius gin-pole, jib block & jib sheet block we will have solo mast raising perfection!