Sail swap

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Sail swap

Post by Mac M »

I've got a 19XL and a 20 and they have the same mast. The 19XL has a nice laminate factory main with the MAX bottom batten. Would that sail work on the 20 with its boom removed? I was going to get the sails together this weekend and see what kind of differences there were. I'm thinking the foot may different.

If the sizes are the same would there be any issues with this?
Bruiser
Professional
Boat Make/Model: RC 27

Re: Sail swap

Post by Bruiser »

Mac M wrote:I've got a 19XL and a 20 and they have the same mast. The 19XL has a nice laminate factory main with the MAX bottom batten. Would that sail work on the 20 with its boom removed? I was going to get the sails together this weekend and see what kind of differences there were. I'm thinking the foot may different.

If the sizes are the same would there be any issues with this?

A sail with no boom is a problem. It is even a problem when the sail is designed for no boom. The issue is that the end of the sail wants to move towards the mast. This makes the sail much fuller on the bottom part of the sail. As the wind picks up this becomes even more pronounced. As you let the main sheet out the sail will move towards the mast and becomes more powerful, basically the opposite effect that you wanted when you let out the main. I would think you could use the sail and just come up with a way to put in a boom batten.

Good luck.