SC17 Sailing Upwind

General Sailing Discussion
falseicon
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 17 '84 Vintage

SC17 Sailing Upwind

Post by falseicon »

I realize our ability to point is limited by several factors, but am looking for tips, either tuning or approach, on how to sail this boat more sharply upwind when necessary. While not an issue out in the bay/ocean, we're often faced with an offshore when heading in, and a local features of the area can complicate the angle of our approach. Thoughts?
SuperCat 17 '84 Vintage
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Re: SC17 Sailing Upwind

Post by fjviola »

Whenever sea state permits, I have my crew trap out 'in-front' of the forward crossbar to point my SC17 more sharply unwind. Same for my ARC21. As long as leeward bow does not completely bury (more correctly: boat does not stop suddenly with stern rising up so rudders can be 'fully' inspected), ballast as far forward as possible will give you more 'pointing' capability :D

franklin VIOLA
falseicon
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 17 '84 Vintage

Re: SC17 Sailing Upwind

Post by falseicon »

Well I have to say, this really worked like a charm. We'd been trapping-out leeward as you describe, but pushing well past the crossbar worked wonders ... weather permitting of course.

Curious, we've always been slow to tack, for what I'd assume are similar reasons. if we timed it right and I/crew shift weight in this manner, would we come through more quickly? I've been slightly backwinding the jib and working the main on cue, but every extra bit can help.

Always interested in ideas on how to speed up maneuvers.

Cheers.
SuperCat 17 '84 Vintage