Scaled down for the masses?

General Sailing Discussion
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Re: Scaled down for the masses?

Post by fjviola »

Dan
I imagine your SC15 'jumps' off the trailer and onto the beach as soon as your parking lights go off. SC15 video posted on forum is Fantastic!

You would be absolutely amazed at how quickly the ARC21 is also stepped and out on the water! Other than addition of of rigging the gin-pole, we are out just a few minutes behind my buddy's SC17. And the ride? Like going from a Chevy LUV truck to a Cadillac :D

While the Nacra fleet is still rigging this and rigging that .. and tuning that and tuning this .. ugh :roll:
Only wish I had trapezed off an SC/ARC sooner!! 8)

franklin VIOLA
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: Scaled down for the masses?

Post by Bill Roberts »

Just so everyone understands: A wing will give you 10% more boatspeed, 33 knots vs 30 knots. Foils will give you 30% more boatspeed, 42 knots vs 30 knots.
The wings on the AC boats seem to be too big, too much area. In the recent races some top down shots showed no camber in the upper sections of the wings in the first two races. The top of the wing was a tear drop, no camber. It could get wild in a 20 to 25 knot wind race. This could easily push the relative wind up to the 40 to 50 knot range.

I saw the A cat wing boat at the Worlds a few years ago. It was a mid fleet finisher. It never led a race. It was never a threat. Structurally and mechanically it looked very well done. Performance was not so hot.
Conclusion: All wings are not fast.