self tacking jib / main down hual

Technical discussion of ARC products
Matthew Hannan
Novice

self tacking jib / main down hual

Post by Matthew Hannan »

My father just bought an old 1980's super cat 20 with a 12"ft expansion. The problem we have been having is that we can't seem to get the pully system right. Unlike the to sizzler cats we have used in the past which had two pulleys on the tramp behind the mast; the super cat has an oxin block that seems to run under the tramp before it goes forward to the jib. From there it connects to a travler then to the jib. The problem we have is that the jib jamms and doesn't let out. This not because of the oxin block, it works fine. Pull once it lock pull again it realleases. Does any one know where i can get a manual or could some one talk me through it? even a picture of the correct way would be a help.

Second question is about the down haul. There is a kink in the pully system which seems to make the down haul system jam when trying to pull down all the way. Wanted to know if some one could send me a picture of a correct looking one.

How ever even with these two problems the boat really cooks when it on the water. even though it is dumping most of its wind. :lol:

If you could email me back at surfdude2100@yahoo.com
thank you for your time
Bill Roberts
Expert

Matthew's Questions

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Matthew,
What you have here is somebody's" home cooking". What you are describing never came from the factory. I suggest you get in touch with Tom Haberman at the factory and put the boat back stock, standard. Sail it like it came from the factory originally. It worked very well and back in the 1980s the SC20 was faster than a Tornado. A Tornado is the boat that all the new high tech boats are trying to be faster than today.
Bill
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re-Rigging SC20 w/ Self Tacking Jib

Post by Matt Haberman »

Matthew,
I too would suggest that you call Tom at Aquarius Sail (651-462-SAIL) as he will be able to better answer your questions over the phone and get you back on the water quickly.

I have a few questions about your boat that might help Tom in answering some of your problems.
1) All of the SuperCat 20's were 12' wide. Is this one a telescoping cross beam boat or a Fixed beam (non telescoping) boat?
2) Where did you purchase this boat and do you know what year it is?

The reason I ask these questions is because in the early 1990's there were a few SC20's that had been converted to the self-tacking jib system like the one used on the ARC-22. One of these boats originated in Minnesota and was converted by Aquarius Sail, but like Bill stated previously it sounds like what you have is not how it was originally rigged and is in of a overhaul.

Give Tom a call at 651-462-SAIL with all the details about your boat. He should be able to help you get things straightend out.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com