How NOT to finish a race

General Sailing Discussion
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

How NOT to finish a race

Post by DanBerger »

So, Supercats were represented at the rescheduled Duck Cup in Duck, NC this weekend. The course was a distance race from N'or Banks Sailing south to the bridge then West to a mark on the land side of the sound and back to N'or Banks. Our Hero on a Supercat 15 SL 1-up took the cup on corrected time.

Now, for the other Supercat, a 19 sailed by our forum friend and flying enthusiast (OK, it was Robert) won the best finish award. Seems that no one told him you had to finish the race in 'proper sailing position', meaning pointy thing up and actually sailing. He also didn't catch the rule about extrodinary propulsion as he WALKED the boat across the finish line ON IT'S SIDE!

After 3+ hours of racing, it sucks to capsize right at the finish line. We've all done it, though. Seems to be the Supercat curse at this race.

We thought he was going to hit the pin with his mast--which he would have then had to drag the boat around the pin to re-finish.

Wait--it gets better. When he righted the boat, he dropped it on his girlfriend's face. She was surprisingly forgiving about all that. He must he a heckuva guy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Re: How NOT to finish a race

Post by havliii »

Dan, I am not familiar with 'the curse' at this race. Can you illuminate? How many have gone over?
havliii
Professional

Post by havliii »

Second and third question:

How did you get the SC15 with self tacker rated? Sailed, sloop rigged, I can only find it rated 2up, not 1up.
And what is your rating?
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

A few years ago, I did this race on my SC 15 and my trapeze adjuster line broke which caused me to go into the water and the boat to flip over. This was like 50 yards from the finish line after a 4+hour race. I was the first high Portsmouth boat to (attempt to) finish and I could hear all the guys with the F18s and I20 celebrating on the beach because I crashed. The boat sailed away on its side faster than I could swim, so I had to get rescued and brought back to the boat. That was not a good end to a good race.

The self-tacker is smaller than the standard jib, so I don't take a hit for that, but I take a .97 hit for the MH modification factor L4 (underweight penalty): "For total crew weight less than 70% of class min. crew wt. or for singlehanding a sloop not having class min. crew weights."

That puts me at a 74.7, so a single handed Hobie 16 owes me time, but I owe a double handed 16 time.
havliii
Professional

Post by havliii »

I don't applaud at anyone's misfortune but it may be possible that the F18 boys were cheering because they felt your handicap was a bit soft. Seems 3% is a small price to pay for a 50% weight reduction.

Thanks for posting the story, if anyone knew Robert's pain, certainly you did, it gives more perspective to the re-telling of the finish.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Dan....

Thanks for the write up. It was a good time had !!! Thanks for the pic post. Not sure any one would believe it had Carter not documented it. I am not sure this rates as a curse either but hey we were consistent with the boat maker at least. It gave folks some thing to talk about. 8)
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

It was more of the I20 guy that was cheering for my DQ--he is VERY vocal about Supercats having unfair numbers. I get a kick out of it because he is validating that they are better built boats. That day, I happened to have a pretty good race until the end, but there were other environmental factors. The wind shifted about 45 degrees and it picked up the last hour of the race. The faster spinnaker boats don't stand a chance in corrected time in that case--which I get handed to me when I race my A cat in the open fleet.

That's why I think we shouldn't run all boats against eachother. We need a low Portsmouth consisting of Spin boats and A cats; a high Portsmouth consisting of boats like Hobie 14/16/17/18, Prindle 15/16/18, Nacra 450, 5.0, 5.2,5.7 etc and a "Very high" Portsmouth consisting of plastic boats like Waves and Getaways.

Anyway, I won't harp on the SC15 number VS Nacra 450, Prindle 15 and Hobie 14. I feel like I've beaten that one to death.

And Robert still hasn't finished that race, yet
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Well not this years..... so to satisfy the nay sayers I will have to return and defend my honor. Seems to be all I have left these days and it is not of vast quantities these days. :? :roll: :| Though it might be on the SC15. Will that suffice Dan???
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

DanBerger wrote:Wait--it gets better. When he righted the boat, he dropped it on his girlfriend's face. She was surprisingly forgiving about all that. He must he a heckuva guy.

Oh and by the way.....Yes I am and she agrees. I just don't think she will be sailing with me again.

Any one else wanna crew for me?? Taking applications now....no experience required....Must have all teeth in their head ....no eye patches....and shower daily.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or