Portsmouth Rating

Technical discussion of ARC products
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Portsmouth Rating

Post by thommerrill »

hey guys i see the rating has dropped .8 I believe to 57. ANyone know why the cahnge was made??
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
Bill Roberts
Expert

ARC22 PN????

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Thom,
The PN system is emperical. That means it is based on data, race results, elapsed times relative to other boats to be exact. US Sailing/Darline Hobock has received race results, elapsed time data, that say the ARC22's PN should come down to 57 to be more fair to the other boats. I guess the owners are sailing the boat too good. Maybe you ought to get out there and sail yours sometime, Thom. You sure had everybody jumping through hoops when you were buying your boat to never have raced it. Come on down to FT Walton Beach in September and show us all how to sail the boat.
Notice that the M20 PN went up and the CFR20 PN moved down. These are the correct directions for their PNs to move. They just need a little more data to determine exactly where they should settle out.
Summary: If you go back in the PN history for the ARC22, you will see that it has steadly been going lower and lower year to year. I don't think 57 is the end of the road. This boat and the RC27/30 are the only boats that have this trend with no boat/sail changes. This trend speaks well for the boat and its sailors and we don't have any Rock Stars or at least we didn't know we had any Rock Stars. Maybe we do!
Good Sailing,
Bill
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

Bill-

As I have said before; I blew out my knee on the maiden voyage May 2001 stepping on the front tramp. I had problems for 40 years with it and when it let go I was down for about two years. First it was the menascus cartlidge that approximately 40% was removed...so it hurt to walk much less ride the trapeze. Next the ACL let go the weekend of the RTI 2001 and that set me back some as well and last the burr sack created its own little problems February 2002] . Also my Diabetes [which I started taking insulin for] at that time [February 2002] was/is a bear to handle. Mainly because it unpredictable at best. This is my main reason for not racing. If you can't follow this ask Bob Curry how much fun its to lay on a tramp and shake uncontrollably like that episode with Smyth in the Tornado days.

Also taking into consideration that I'm 13hrs driving time [one way] from FWB as well; maybe you can follow why I don't drag the boat that far. I admit I have taken my F25c to FWB a couple of times because it goes together in about 1-2 hours not 4-5 hours like the ARC22. Also if I have health problems its far more stable the the ARC22 and I can go below and take a shot or eat something [which ever is required] and wait for things to settle down.

Also with the drought around here in recent 2 years [not now] the beach at the lake I sail on was gravel,rock,glass, torn metal, fish hooks, etc. Even though I used indoor outdoor carpet I always stalled the boat [4-5 times total] before hitting the beach to keep the paint from getting scared up.

So thats the reasons why the boats been sailed about five times.

As far as hoops...I asked several questions before ordering but I also paid cash exactly how Haberman wanted. I haven't heard any complaits out of him. I also didn't complain about the 81/2 months I waited for the boat either.

I think I have made my sailing history clear enough for you.
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale