Racing SC20's

General Sailing Discussion
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Racing SC20's

Post by Mac M »

Anyone have much experience racing a 20 on a buoy course? I'm hosting a race here next weekend and plan to race the 20 I just rebuilt against mostly F18's, f16's, and A Cats. Curious what to expect.
Mac M
Professional

Re: Racing SC20's

Post by Mac M »

Raced today in 10-12 mph winds. The 20 did well up wind and could hang with the F18/16's. I couldn't point as high as they could, but our boat speed was pretty close. My spinnaker set up just didn't work so I didn't use it, we got killed on the downwind legs.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

I raced a few weeks ago and yes, I saw the same problem going downwind myself. I would have some making up to do after the downwind leg. I assume it is because our boats are heavier.

I did outpoint almost everyone else upwind though. It might have had something to do with me being solo with 10-15knots and the self-tacking jib which I can pull up close to centerline. I made up a lot of time when they all had to tack and I made the mark. I was having to head up otherwise I would have gone over. It was pretty much perfect conditions for solo, most of the time I was just lifting a hull.

It was a blast. Beautiful day out on Kaneohe Bay for Bart's Bash. I placed second after the corrections on our long distance race and 3rd on the shorter course. It's the first time I have raced solo and I like it, usually I have too much weight and a crew that has little experience.

I just had hernia surgery yesterday so no sailing for a little while.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

What were the other boats you raced against?
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Mac M wrote:What were the other boats you raced against?
You had to ask me that. A bunch of Hobies. Is that good enough? I really don't pay attention to what they are. Some Miracles 20's and others. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Here is some video of the 2 days of racing at our club. My SC20 is the one with the yellow Kevlar sails.

https://vimeo.com/108163314
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Mac M wrote:Anyone have much experience racing a 20 on a buoy course? I'm hosting a race here next weekend and plan to race the 20 I just rebuilt against mostly F18's, f16's, and A Cats. Curious what to expect.

Mac I'd have to say the SC20 was and is better suited for the distance type races that are in the Florida area. Lots of hull to tac around buoys and mixing it up with smaller cats has gotta be like racing a semi with a bunch of Buicks. Your looking to get T-Boned at a mark !!!

How did you fair out ???
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

I didn't do that great, had some spinnaker issues that kept me from using the kite. The 20's boat speed up wind was right there with the F18/16's but I wasn't able to point as high as they could. I'm really just getting started tuning the boat so there are lots to be gained in its performance.

Kevin, looks like a fun event and a great place to sail
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Ah yes Hawaii would be a great place Mac !!!! Sounds like it was a good time had then... With some good learning had.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or