Raising the mast

Technical discussion of ARC products
Braeden910
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1985 SuperCat 15

Raising the mast

Post by Braeden910 »

I am new to owning a sailboat and I just got a new-to-me 1985 SC 15 and I tried raising the mast up and I couldn’t do it so I got someone else to help me and we still couldn’t get it up! So the next day we got 2 other people to help but even with a team of 4 raising this mast it was extremely difficult. According to the manual it should be easy to raise this thing with 2 people :lol: , I am obviously doing something wrong so can someone tell me how they raise theirs up?
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Re: Raising the mast

Post by gahamby »

Two people should be able to walk up a SC15 mast. Did you have the Heyfield levers on the side stays open?
Use the trap wires to stop side to side sway. Don't let the mast rotate.
Braeden910
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1985 SuperCat 15

Post by Braeden910 »

Yeah we kept the mast straight and had the levers open. How we had the 4 people set up was one on the mast, one on the starboard trap wire pulling, and 2 on the port trap wire.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Braeden,

The 15 & 17 mast can easily be raised with 2 or 3 people here are a couple of suggestions:
  1. Only open 1 lever, with two levers open the mast could go too far forward and damage the mast pedestal
  2. Put one person on the tramp to lift the mast.
  3. Put one person at the top to help lift it off the ground and then walk it up until the guy on tramp can take over.
  4. Once the guy on the tramp takes over the guy on the ground needs to move way off to the side in case the mast falls.
  5. Attach a long (30'+) line to the forestay and have someone at the end pulling (HARD) once the guy on the tramp takes over.
  6. If there is only two of you the guy in step 3 can run to the front and grab the rope once the guy on the tramp has the mast on his shoulder.

OR an easier an safer way to is to get a Gin Pole, in that case you could easily raise the mast with two fingers :D
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Trinisailer
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by Trinisailer »

Matt Haberman wrote: June 19th, 2018, 5:02 pm Braeden,

The 15 & 17 mast can easily be raised with 2 or 3 people here are a couple of suggestions:
  1. Only open 1 lever, with two levers open the mast could go too far forward and damage the mast pedestal
  2. Put one person on the tramp to lift the mast.
  3. Put one person at the top to help lift it off the ground and then walk it up until the guy on tramp can take over.
  4. Once the guy on the tramp takes over the guy on the ground needs to move way off to the side in case the mast falls.
  5. Attach a long (30'+) line to the forestay and have someone at the end pulling (HARD) once the guy on the tramp takes over.
  6. If there is only two of you the guy in step 3 can run to the front and grab the rope once the guy on the tramp has the mast on his shoulder.

OR an easier an safer way to is to get a Gin Pole, in that case you could easily raise the mast with two fingers :D
This is exactly how i did mine.
I have a SC20 and it was easy with the 4 of us.
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Post by gahamby »

I single hand my SC15 mast up on a regular basis.
Perhaps the shrouds are set too tight.
Mine are pinned in the top hole.
T Peterson
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Post by T Peterson »

I realize this is an older post - but what the heck...

The gin pole is the best way and will help as you get older and weaker. But, if you don't want to spend any money, here is how I raise my 17 mast - alone. ( I have used the gin pole, but sometimes I get impatient and just do it the fast, but hard way.)

Get the boat off the trailer and on land.
Find a spot, hopefully on the beach, where the bows are lower than the stern.
Get all your wires set - I use some masking tape to make sure the side stays don't catch on the ends of the rear crossbar.
As Matt says, if you have a friend or step ladder, use that to get the top of the mast off the ground.
Now, go to the absolute rear of the trampoline - very important.
Lift the mast to your waist, then on your shoulder, then up til your arms are straight up.
Then, walk towards the bow - you are raising the mast with your legs, not your arms.
If your bows are lower than the stern, and if you have released one Hayfield lever, the mast will go over center and stay there.
You can then hop down and fasten the forestay.
If you do have a friend, your friend can fasten the forestay.
If your boat is on the beach, and the wind is onshore, the gin pole will be of great help.
Also, make sure that if it is windy, that the wind won't blow the mast around while you hop down to fasten the forestay.
Tom Haberman sells a gin pole kit that works great. I bought a used Hobie 16 main block set on eBay that I use with it.