Recent purchase SC17, Jib sheet issues, help!

Technical discussion of ARC products
stringbender
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Recent purchase SC17, Jib sheet issues, help!

Post by stringbender »

A recent purchase of SC17 and operation under 10 mph winds produced luft and flapping in the bottom of my jib sheet.
Yes I felt like an amateur as back many moons ago when I owned my first SC17 this was not a problem, some items changed and different vs my first
SC17, like this one has a roller furling. The downhaul has a cleat to tie off the line?
The jib line attachment had a piece of rope with several attachment areas for jib line attachements?
I've tried several attachment areas and still not getting it to fill out properly.
Am I rigging it properly? If someone can take a picture of their set up I'd appreciate it.
Several old articles with references have led to old inaccessible web pages and no pictures.
I know this probably is a recurring question but "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards
Doug Bent
Stuart, FL
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Recent purchase SC17, Jib sheet issues, help!

Post by Matt Haberman »

Doug,

If the foot of the jib is "luffing" then it sounds to me like the sheet angle is incorrect and there is probably too much leech tension and insufficient foot tension which is causing the luffing issue. Can you post a few pictures of your jib rigged on your boat. Over the years there has been some "home brew" rigging that can make it difficult to debug.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
stringbender
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Recent purchase SC17, Jib sheet issues, help!

Post by stringbender »

Matt,
thanks for the quick reply.
No pictures unfortunately I was too anxious to sail vs obtaining pics.
Second sail was more successful I gather because I believe I attached the foot at its lowest point.
There is two attachment options on the jib clew area, the lower and forward one has a rope with two areas for attachment of sheet line, we used the lower option on the external line (rope).

Ironically both sailors were experienced on the supercat, Wayne Cornelius (who manufactured the plug of the original SC17 mold with Bill) and myself a former owner of a 17 however there was quite a few cobwebs in the way of our performance and I must say I like the original blocks on the Jib. These fancy blocks that came with the boat, self locking, are too difficult for old farts that learned a different way, almost 40 yrs ago. One thing that didn't change was how exciting it was to sail the SC 17.

It will take till next week before I get pictures, we have a hurricane heading our way....Regards, Doug Bent
ps: I had to look up those nautical sailing terms, LOL